WiscVPN (Windows 8) - The VPN Client Driver has Encountered an Error
Due to compatibility problems, users may experiences errors when trying to establish a connection with the Cisco AnyConnect client on Windows 8. Upon trying to connect, they may get an error such as "The VPN Client driver has encountered an error" or "Cannot initiate VPN."
Fortunately, there is an easy registry edit that has been found to frequently resolve this error:
- Go to the Windows 8 Start Screen by pressing the Windows key.
- Type regedit to initiate an application search, then press Enter to launch regedit.
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\vpnva
- Locate the key DisplayName.
- Right-click this key and select Modify.
- In the value data field, erase everything and replace it with Cisco AnyConnect VPN Virtual Miniport Adapter for Windows x64
- If you are running a 32-bit system, perform the same steps, but instead replace the entry with Cisco AnyConnect VPN Virtual Miniport Adapter for Windows x86
- Restart the Cisco AnyConnect client. The issue should now be resolved.