Help Desk - Student Support Specialist I Position Description
Division of Information Technology (DoIT)
University of Wisconsin - Madison
This is an entry-level student position providing computing support to University of Wisconsin students, faculty and staff. The position is responsible for first level problem determination, problem/incident recording, problem resolution and problem escalation for DoIT supported products and services as defined in HD Skill Level 1.
These products and services include networks, client/server systems, mainframe systems, PC and Macintosh desktops, desktop application software, online education software, peripheral devices, and others. The Madison campus is the primary support area but other UW system and related institutions are also supported.
This position reports to a Help Desk Team Lead.
85% With assistance, resolve problems reported to DoIT Help Desk.
- Provide first-level contact and problem resolution for all users with hardware, software and applications problems. Resolve as many user-reported problems as expertise permits using available tools, and following procedures and policies for the handling of support cases.
- Courteously obtain and convey concise problem information for external and internal service personnel. Demonstrate consistently good customer service skills.
- Provide accurate and timely logging of problems and resolution for problems in the WiscIT problem management database following case recording and documentation standards.
- Escalate problems as appropriate following HD procedures.
- Develop troubleshooting skills by using effective investigative methods and using HD troubleshooting tools.
- Act as a liaison between customers and internal support staff to assure accurate problem interpretation. Maintain communications with customers during the problem resolution process.
- Resolve HDQA assigned calls.
15% Agent training and other assignments
- Complete required Help Desk training that will enhance and improve computing support delivered to customer.
- Utilize float time to improve skills or complete special projects.
- Develop and maintain knowledge of Help Desk supported products and services.
- Complete projects as assigned.
- Able to communicate effectively over the phone, chat, email or in person. English is required; other languages welcome.
- Able to write clearly and concisely.
- Sufficient maturity in interpersonal development needed to contend with potentially difficult situations and users.
- Desire and aptitude to learn information technology support functions and processes.
- Basic computer knowledge the more the better.
- Prior experience in a customer service position highly desirable.
- Able to work in a fast-changing, stressful environment where you must be flexible and learn quickly.