Work Permits For High School Students
(608) 204-4100 -- West High School
(608) 204-1603 -- East High School
(608) 266-3131 (Madison) or (414)-227-4384 (Milwaukee) -- Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development
(608)-267-4592 (Madison) or (414)-227-4084 (Milwaukee) -- Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development
Apply and Pick-up Work Permits
Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development:
201 E. Washington Ave. Rm. A100,
Madison, WI 53708
819 N. 6th St, room 723
Milwaukee, WI 53203
Changes to Wisconsin's child labor law remove the requirement that 16- and 17-year-old minors obtain work permits prior to beginning work. However, Wisconsin employers hiring or permitting minors’ younger than 16 to work, must possess a valid work permit for each minor before work may be performed. The work permit establishes a minor’s proof of age and insures that the employer, parent/guardian, and minor are aware of the state child labor laws and regulations.
Information on work permits for high school students is available through high school administrative offices.
Other locations that sell work permits in the Madison area and across the state can be found via the website.Requirements:
- Letter from employer expressing intent to hire (with job description, address, phone number, and hours of work)
- A written parents consent
- Proof of age (birth certificate/baptism or passport) or driver's license
- Minor's Social Security card - must have original, not a copy!
- $10 permit fee