GCP - Google Cloud Platform Pricing
GCP - Pricing
Network egress waiver (costs for data traffic out of GCP)
- All network egress charges up to an amount equaling 15% of the total bill we be waived.
- Example 1: If the UW's total monthly fees would have been $1000, but $50 of those fees were network egress, the final bill would be $950, as all network egress fees would be waived.
- Example 2: If the UW's total monthly fees would have been $1000, but $150 of those fees were network egress, the customer's final bill would be $850, as all network egress fees would be waived.
- Example 3: If the UW's total monthly fees would have been $1000, but $250 of those fees were network egress, the customer's final bill would be $850, as only $150 of network egress fees would be waived.
- Practically, this has meant most schools schools do not pay egress charges the vast majority of their operating time. If you expect to need to move large amounts of data ( > 100s of TB in a single month) contact us for specific on the current waiver levels and data export strategies.
GCP - NIH STRIDES Initiative Pricing
Using Grant Funding for Cloud Services
Cloud computing (AWS, Azure or GCP) through UW contracts can be funded by research grant funds using a DoIT Number, like other IT expenditures (DoIT Numbers - Overview)
Customers are responsible for ensuring that any grant funds used to pay for public cloud services is done in accordance with Research and Sponsored Programs (RSP) policy and federal requirements (2 CFR 200 Subpart E). Basic guidance on allowable direct costs can be found here. It is recommended that any customers with questions about using a grant to pay for cloud computing contact RSP for guidance.
For customers planning or expecting to use credits/grants from a Public Cloud Provider, please indicate so on your account request, and contact the Public Cloud team to ensure those credits are deployed appropriately to your account.
Pilot Program - Reduced F&A Charges for Cloud Computing Expenses on Research Grants
UW-Madison is conducting a 2-year pilot that includes a reduced F&A rate for cloud computing expenses on research grants. This reduction applies only to new proposals and awards as of July 1, 2022. For questions about whether your funding source is eligible for this F&A reduction, contact RSP at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Contact your departmental grant/financial administrator or RSP to obtain a specific Project ID for cloud computing expenses that will be charged the reduced F&A rate. This will be a 7-character string, with letters and numbers, for example, AAA1234 and should include "Cloud Computing" in the Description field. Ensure you have the correct Project ID as changes may not be possible later.
- Sign up for a new UW Public Cloud account, indicate you are eligible for this reduced F&A rate, and enter your Cloud Computing Project ID in the form.
NOTE: if you are a researcher in the School of Medicine and Public Health and want to use the reduced F&A-eligible funding for computing on the Azure-based Platform X, contact email@example.com for more information.