Endpoint Security - Cybersecurity Roadmap & Recommended Antivirus Solutions
This article contains Cybersecurity's recommendations for antivirus software for both UW-owned and personally owned devices.
- University-owned devices (Windows & macOS) should be running Cisco AMP, the university's centrally managed endpoint security software. If you have questions about AMP, or have a use-case that AMP may not fit, contact the Office of Cybersecurity at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Note: If you have a university owned, unmanaged device (university owned but treated like BYOD), please contact your local IT staff. Your IT staff can reach out to Cybersecurity at email@example.com if they need clarification on which endpoint solution is appropriate.
Personally Owned Windows Devices:
- Faculty, Staff, & Students: Cybersecurity recommends utilizing the built-in antivirus solution for Windows, Windows Defender, on personally owned devices. You can learn more about enabling Windows Defender here, and running an antivirus scan using Windows Defender here.
Personally Owned macOS Devices:
While macOS does have built-in security features to protect against malicious/unwanted applications and files, it is beneficial to supplement this built-in protection with antivirus software. Recommended antivirus solutions for Faculty, Staff and Students are below.
- Faculty & Staff: Cybersecurity recommends utilizing Trend Micro Maximum Security to protect Macs owned by Faculty and Staff. You can learn more about Trend Micro on campus here, and instructions on obtaining a license and installation is available here.
- Students: Cybersecurity recommends utilizing freely available antivirus solutions to protect Macs owned by students. You can find a list of freely available antivirus software here.