UW-Madison Box - Known Issues
This is a list of known issues related to the Box service through UW-Madison.
- UW-Madison Box Login redirects to 'Medical Response Plan' folder in another person's account
- Box storage appears to be incorrect
- Box Notifications are not being received and/or Viewers are receiving Download notifications
- Box Drive for Windows does not display File/Folders with certain characters in the name
- Box Sync has quit syncing files
- Java errors
UW-Madison Box Login redirects to 'Medical Response Plan' folder in another person's account
The UW-Madison Box folder, "Medical Response Plan", is intentionally shared with all UW-Madison Box users from the Occupational Medicine website. Individuals are sometimes redirected to the Medical Response Plan folder at Box login. This happens when the link is listed in the browser's search bar history. In order to remove the link from the browser history you will need to do one of the following:
- Clear your browser's entire search history
- Within your browser's search history, look for uwmadison.box.com and delete either the specific link to the shared folder or all links to uwmadison.box.com
Why does it look like I am logging into someone else's account? The browser is keeping the link to the shared Box folder in your history, when you attempt to login to your UW-Madison Box account the browser matches on the link to the shared folder instead. The link does require that you login to UW-Madison Box in order to view the contents and this gives the impression that you are logging into another user's account. While your browser is trying to be helpful by creating shortcuts based on visited sites, it's actually causing confusion.
Box storage appears to be incorrect
It is possible that the storage reported for your UW-Madison Box account is incorrect. There is a known issue that can result in Box displaying an incorrect file count for a folder or inaccurate storage for an account. This can only be corrected by Box Support. Please contact DoIT Help Desk if you believe your storage reporting is incorrect. For a full explanation of the issue see the Box support document: Storage Usage Or File Count In My Account Is Incorrect
Note: If you have folders where the file counts change frequently you are more likely to repeatedly run into the file count issue. Box does not currently have an ETA for a fix. Until Box provides a permanent solution we will just have to work around the file count inconsistencies.
Box Notifications are not being received and/or Viewers are receiving Download notifications
Box has acknowledged two different notification issues that are affecting some UW-Madison Box accounts.
- Some accounts are not receiving "preview" notifications even when they have those notifications enabled for their account or for a specific folder.
- Accounts with the "Viewer" access level should only receive notifications for Preview and Upload actions. Instead, some accounts are receiving notifications related to Upload, Download and Delete actions.
Box has a long term engineering project to improve their email notification platform and migrate it to Amazon SES. Until that work is complete they will not investigate any notification issues. The recommended work around for missing notifications is to review notifications via the Box Notification Center in the Box Web App.
For content owners who are concerned about Viewers receiving notifications for file Downloads or Deletes the recommended workaround is to adjust the folder settings to "Disable all email notifications for all collaborators". See Understanding Box Folder Settings for information on how to change folder options.
Box Drive for Windows does not display File/Folders with certain characters in the name
There is a known issue with Box Drive where it will not show or will display an error for folders or files which have special characters in the name. This is specific to Windows. Windows does not support file or folder names that contain any of the following characters:
- < (less than)
- > (greater than)
- : (colon)
- * (asterisk)
- " (double quote)
- / (forward slash)
- \ (backslash)
- | (vertical bar or pipe)
- ? (question mark)
For a complete list of known Box Drive issues please see Box support document: Miscellaneous Box Drive Error Notifications.
Box Sync has quit syncing files
There are a number of reasons why Box Sync might not be working or might have stopped working.
- Periodically, you may be logged out of the Box Sync application. Check the Box Sync icon that appears on the far left of the menu bar (Macs) or the task bar (Windows). If it is greyed out, this indicates that you are not currently logged into Box Sync.
- If the folder was created in the web client, it may not be set to sync to your desktop.
- You may not have sufficient permissions to sync the folder. Only Owners, Co-owners and Editors can sync folders to their desktop.
For more comprehensive troubleshooting, please see: Box Sync Troubleshooting
Java must be enabled and at the correct version in order to run core components of UW Madison Box. If you are experiencing errors please see: My Version of Java or Flash is Outdated