Canvas - SOAR Student Life & Transition Course
This document describes how to complete the SOAR - Student Life & Transition course in Canvas for fall 2021.
Canvas - SOAR Student Life & Transition Course (Summer 2021)
How to navigate the SOAR Student Life & Transition Course
This document describes how to navigate the SOAR Student Life & Transition course in Canvas.
The SOAR Student Life & Transition course in Canvas is highly encouraged, but optional for incoming Freshman and Transfer students completing the SOAR program this summer. To gain access to this course, the following criteria must be met:
- They have an active SOAR reservation for summer 2021
- They have completed the Preparing for SOAR module in MyUW
- It's within a week of their chosen SOAR session week
- They also have access to their SOAR Academic Advising Canvas course
To access the course:
- Log in toCanvasusing your UW-Madison NetID credentials.
- You should see a Dashboard for courses.
- Find the course titled “SOAR Student Life & Transition” and click on it.
- Follow the instructions on the home page to navigate the course.
To activate the closed captions on videos:
- Put your cursor over the video and click the CC button on the lower menu.
- Select English in the option list. The captions are now turned on for the video
- Click the Play button.
- Note: Some videos will not have a CC button. Those videos have captions built into the video on-screen.
Modules in the course
The SOAR Student Life & Transition course consists of the following informational modules:
- Welcome to UW-Madison
- Being a Badger
- Academic & Learning Support
- Recreation & Wellbeing
- Getting Involved and Leadership
- Campus Partners
These modules contain text and video content that match the module theme. All SOAR video content in the Canvas course has captioning available. Students can also access a transcript of the presented material or opt to view the content with American Sign language (ASL) Interpretation. This course can be completed in any order and at students’ own pace throughout the summer. Since the course content is optional and can be completed in any order, there will be no green check marks to indicate completion.
If students have questions about the completion requirements, or have other questions about the SOAR program, contact SOAR@studentlife.wisc.edu or visit soar.wisc.edu. Only incoming freshmen and transfer students are enrolled in the SOAR Student Life & Transition course.
SOAR Student Life & Transition course technical considerations
- SOAR Student Life & Transition is a web-based course containing audio and video, so you will need a computer with audio.
- Recommended web browsers are Chrome and Firefox. You may use Safari, but please note that the course may not function properly in this browser. Avoid using Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge.
- Avoid a mobile phone. While you can certainly use your mobile phone to complete the course, you will have a better experience if the course is completed on a laptop or desktop computer.
- Additional details can be found at https://soar.wisc.edu/overview/#tech
To Get Help
For questions regarding this program or if you need accommodations, please contact the SOAR Team at SOAR@studentlife.wisc.edu.
For technical assistance with this course, please contact the Help Desk at email@example.com.
If you experience accessibility or usability barriers while completing this course and need assistance, call 608-262-4707 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.