Creating a Google Forms to Solicit Student Reflections in Physically-Distanced Learning Spaces
Using Google Forms to collect student reflections in a physically-distanced learning space
In many of active learning activities identified for use in physically-distanced learning spaces, there is a need to facilitate and collect student feedback and reflections on course content in an anonymous manner, as to inform the instructor of the progress and depth of student learning. This document walks you through the process of using Google Forms.
- Access UW-Madison Google Apps by going to https://www.doit.wisc.edu/services/google-apps and selecting Log In to Your UW-Madison Google Apps Account.
- Enter your NetID and password, then select log-in.
- You should be automatically redirected to Google Drive. If not, you can find Google Drive from the apps menu in the upper right corner.
- Once you are in Google Drive, you can create content by selecting the + New button, then More, then Google Forms, then Blank Form.
Setting Up Forms
- Select the Untitled form words and enter a title for the form (Example: Minute Paper).
- Select the Form description words and enter a description of the form (Example: Providing feedback on this week's reading).
- Select the Settings icon (Gear icon) at the top right corner of the screen.
- Make sure Collect email address is not selected
- Since this is an anonymous form, deselect Restrict to users in UW-Madison G Suite and its trusted organizations box.
- Under Respondents can: section, deselect both boxes.
- Select Save.
- For creating a form that solicits student reflection, add a Paragraph question type by selecting the question type drop-down menu to the right of the question box.
- Select the Untitled Question text and enter your reflection question (What was one main takeaway from today's readings?).
- Select the Send button.
- Select the Link icon. Select the Shorten URL box.
- Copy the URL and paste it into a Microsoft PowerPoint slide or create a link to it in the Canvas Modules tool.
As students submit responses, you can go back to this form and select the Response tab. Student posts will appear in the order they were submitted.