UW-Madison Zoom - Consolidate your free personal Zoom account to UW-Madison Zoom
This document will explain what to expect after you consolidate your personal Zoom account and how to consolidate your account to the UW-Madison Zoom service.
You must change the email address of your personal Zoom account to firstname.lastname@example.org before consolidating, if you are using any other email address (e.g., email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com).
If you have an existing Zoom account that was provided by your division (e.g., UHS, Extension), do not follow the steps below and reach out to your Zoom account owner to coordinate when consolidation is appropriate.
If you want to keep your personal Zoom account separate from your UW-Madison Zoom account or if you are not eligible, change your personal account’s email address now to a non @wisc.edu address (e.g., @gmail.com).
- How will consolidating to the UW-Madison Zoom service change my experience?
- Will my personal settings and data consolidate?
- What is the consolidation experience and steps?
How will consolidating my personal @wisc.edu Zoom account to the UW-Madison Zoom service change my experience?
|Free personal Zoom account||UW-Madison Zoom account|
What settings and data will consolidate from my personal @wisc.edu Zoom account to my UW-Madison Zoom account?
Account-level and user settings will be changed to mirror the default settings of the main University account.
Settings that will consolidate:
- Meeting links will continue to work.
- If you previously used a firstname.lastname@example.org email address for your personal Zoom account, you will continue to have the same address for your UW-Madison Zoom account.
- Your Personal Meeting ID will be the same.
- Your personal account settings will consolidate to your UW-Madison Zoom account.
Settings that will not consolidate:
- Your UW-Madison Zoom account will only use your email@example.com email address; cannot use a firstname.lastname@example.org email address
- The login URL will be different:
- You will need to sign into your Zoom desktop client using SSO.
- Company domain: uwmadison
- If you stayed sign in on other devices, you will be signed out and will need to sign in again using SSO.
- If you used a email@example.com email address for your personal Zoom account, you will no longer be able to use this address for your UW-Madison Zoom account.
- You can continue to log in to zoom.us with your firstname.lastname@example.org address.
- If you log into https://uwmadison.zoom.us, you will be prompted to consolidate to your UW-Madison licensed account.
- Go to https://uwmadison.zoom.us
- Click Sign in.
- Enter your NetID credentials.
- You will be prompted to confirm your email address. Click Confirm your email address.
- After you click on Confirm your email address, you will receive a confirmation email from Zoom.
- Check your email@example.com email account to complete the consolidation of your personal firstname.lastname@example.org email address to the UW-Madison Zoom service.
- In the email you received, click on Switch to the new account.
- When you click on the Switch to the new account button, you'll be taken to a page to accept your invitation to consolidate. If you select:
- Sign in to your Current Account, you are choosing not to accept your invitation to consolidate and upgrade your personal account to a UW-Madison Zoom account.
- I Acknowledge and Switch, you are accepting your invitation to consolidate and upgrade your personal account to a UW-Madison Zoom account.
- After accepting your invitation to consolidate, you can start using your UW-Madison Zoom account right away. Learn how to start using your account here: https://kb.wisc.edu/105271 .
Change your email address to email@example.com as soon as possible if you would like to consolidate your personal account to a UW-Madison Zoom account.
- If you do not rename your account prior to consolidation, you will need to contact the DoIT Help Desk.
- If you are using Zoom for personal reasons or aren’t eligible for UW-Madison Zoom (see above eligibility requirements), rename it to your personal email address (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org). Learn how to change your personal account’s email address.
Steps to rename your account.
- If prompted for consolidation, click Skip for this time.
- After logging in to your personal account, go to Profile > Sign-In Email > Edit
- Enter your email@example.com email address and click Save Changes.
- Check your firstname.lastname@example.org mailbox for an email from Zoom. Click on the link provided in the email.
- Sign in to https://uwmadison.zoom.us again. When prompted to consolidate, follow the consolidation steps provided above.
If you are still having issues renaming your account, please contact the Get Help from DoIT for assistance.
You can create a basic UW-Madison Zoom account by following the steps below. Please note, you will need to know the service account's password to follow the steps below. If you don't know the password, you can either reset the password, consult your IT department for assistance, or contact the DoIT Help Desk for further support.
- Go to https://uwmadison.zoom.us
- Click on Sign in.
- Enter the service account’s NetID credentials.
- Learn how to sign in to a service account using its NetID credentials here.
Please note, the basic UW-Madison Zoom account will have a 40-minute time limit on meetings with 3 or more participants. If you would like to upgrade the service account’s Zoom license, please contact email@example.com and include your use case.
(Optional) After you create a basic UW-Madison Zoom account, you can log in to zoom.us using the Google login option:
- Log in to zoom.us
- Click on Sign in with Google.
- Enter the service account’s netid or your firstname.lastname@example.org, if the service account is linked to your netid.