Guidelines to the purchasing of memberships and subscriptions for L&S Faculty and Staff
UW System Memberships Policy
UW-Madison Subscriptions Policy
Membership/Subscription could be allowable as follows:
- When membership is deemed essential, an institutional or organizational membership/subscription should be the first option considered. (instead of an individual membership/subscription)
- The DP/requisition must document/justify the University business reason (how it benefits the University).
- Dates of the Membership/subscription on the DP/requisition.
- The individual faculty/staff/student is a current UW employee, and their appointment is not ending during the membership/subscription period.
- The membership/subscription must be attached to a campus address. Subscriptions mailed to a home address would be considered a personal expense.
- Memberships/subscriptions should be paid on an annual basis.
- Multi-year memberships/subscriptions can be purchased by the department only if there is a significant cost savings to the University.
A- If a multi-year membership/subscription is paid for by faculty/staff, the expense can be reimbursed one year at a time. An accountable plan exception form must be attached to subsequent years, as they would be over 90 days beyond the initial expense, and could be tax reportable.