Requisite Amnesty Project: Instructions for Updating Requisites in Your Department's Course Array
Below are instructions for departments that are engaging in the campus initiative to update requisites in their course array.
Deadline for L&S departments to submit worksheets to L&S: October 1, 2021
L&S will provide your department with a spreadsheet of your courses, with draft changes to help you complete this project. The draft changes reflect required administrative changes, including:
- writing requisites in a specific style so our systems can recognize courses (listing all cross-listed subjects, using the approved subject listing, addressing course renumberings, etc)
- ensuring all courses included in requisites still exist
- editing course descriptions to meet style guidelines
If you have not received your department's spreadsheet but would like to get started, please contact Zach McLeod at email@example.com.
Instructions for reviewing your department's Excel spreadsheet
Only edit the "Revised" columns that are highlighted in green or peach:
- Revised Course Description
- Revised Requisite
Do not edit any other columns.
"Revised Requisites" column
To revise a requisite, add the new requisite to the "Revised Requisites" column.
- Requisites must be enforceable (and only enforceable text may be included). For more information on enforceable requisites, please visit this KB.
- Use the approved subject "Short Description" when referring to courses (i.e. URB R PL, POLI SCI, ASTRON).
- Include all cross-listed subjects (i.e. BIOLOGY/BOTANY/ZOOLOGY 151).
- If a course has the graduate attribute, its requisites must allow graduate students to enroll.
- In cases where specific undergraduate courses are required, add "or graduate/professional standing" to allow for graduate student enrollment
- Per L&S policy, Intermediate and Advanced level courses must have a requisite.
"Revised Course Description" columnOnly a limited type of changes to course descriptions may be made via this process. Other changes must be made via the regular Lumen Course Proposal process. The limited allowable changes:
- adding a one sentence course description if one is missing
- addressing errors or outdated terms
- removing program requirement information (this information belongs in Guide Program Requirements pages)
- removing information that has its own course data field (credits, weekly schedule, title, etc)
- removing text that does not meet style guidelines (e.g., "This course..." or "students will...")
"Revised Enrollment Field" column
The "Enrollment Info" field is a temporary holding place for unenforced requisite text. This column will be empty when we are done with our work. Only changes to "none" will be included.
Additional changes that can be made via this process:
- The department may remove itself from a cross-listing
- The department may remove a graduate attribute from a course
Courses that are no longer offered: Please let us know if you do not plan to teach a course again, and we will submit a course discontinuation proposal on your behalf. It is not a good use of resources to change a course that will not be taught again.
Your department must review the requisites for all courses on the spreadsheet, including all cross-listed courses. Thank you for consulting with your cross-listing partners as you do this work. As a last step in the process, L&S will email all cross-listed partners to ensure they have approved your proposed changes.
Submit completed spreadsheets