UW-Madison Google Workspace - Google Groups Service Transition Information
This document outlines the service transition from WiscList to Google Groups.
- In December 2020, UW-Madison shifted from the use of its previous email list service, WiscList. Campus members who need standard distribution lists are directed to use either Google Groups or Office 365 Groups, however Google Groups is now the default email list service. Members who require email tracking or traditional email marketing tools are directed to utilize Eloqua. Further information about the features of these services can be found at Help Desk - Email list feature mapping for Google Groups, Office 365 Groups, and Eloqua.
What is Google Groups?
- Google Groups is an email list platform that is part of UW-Madison Google Workspace. It is available to all users of UW-Madison Google Workspace including faculty, staff, and students of UW-Madison.
- Google Groups provides for email distribution from a single address to any number of members. Messages sent to the group will be received by all members according to their personal settings. For further information and instructions, visit UW-Madison Google Workspace - Getting Started With Google Groups.
- Class Groups and Advisor Groups are data-driven Google Groups similar to previous Wisclist-based Classlist and Advisorlist email lists. Members are automatically added and removed every few hours based on data from the Office of the Registrar. Only faculty and staff are able to manage these lists. For further information, please visit UW-Madison Google Workspace - Class Groups and UW-Madison Google Workspace - Advisor Groups.
- Custom Groups are Google Groups whose membership is driven by HRS, SIS, or Manifest data. These groups must be requested via a request form. Membership is synced every few hours. For further information, please visit UW-Madison Google Workspace - Custom Groups.
- What happened when WiscList lists (@lists.wisc.edu) were migrated to Google Groups (@g-groups.wisc.edu)?
- When lists were migrated, all valid email addresses were added to the @g-groups.wisc.edu list.
- The name of the new Google Group has the same name as the old WiscList list, but a different email domain. The legacy @lists.wisc.edu addresses continue to work (by forwarding to the @g-groups.wisc.edu address).
- What happens if I send an email to an @lists.wisc.edu address?
- Now, when an email is sent to an @lists.wisc.edu email address, it is redirected to its respective @g-groups.wisc.edu list.
- What if my group has external members (members who do not have an @wisc.edu email address)?
- For lists that contain external users, Google Groups and Eloqua are recommended over Office 365 Groups.
- Can users change their preferred name in Google Groups?
- Depending on the Google Group settings, the display name for members is either set to the Google account’s display name or members may be allowed to set a custom name for each group. In either case, group owners cannot modify a member’s display name.
How did list management change due to the transition?
|Before transition (ClassList)||After transition (Class Group)|
|Before transition (AdvisorList)||After transition (Advisor Group)|
|Before transition (WiscList Custom)||After transition (Custom Group)|