WiscWeb - WordPress UW Theme - Preventing a Page / Post from Being Indexed by Search Engines
This document will walk you through how to prevent a page or post from appearing in search results for services like Google.
The process of preventing a page from being indexed in the UW Theme involves creating a custom meta tag property. This option will prevent most search engine web crawlers from indexing the page.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and locate the Meta Tags Settings box
- Locate the option for creating Custom Meta Tags
- Select Add Meta Tag
- In the Property field, type “robots”
- In the Content field, type “noindex”
- Publish/update the page or post
- It’s possible that your page will still show in search engine results after you have added the “noindex” meta tag. This is because Google hasn’t crawled your page since you added the new meta tag. You will need to run the URL Inspection Tool to let Google know to recrawl your content. For this, you’ll need to have a Google Search Console account setup and linked to your site: WiscWeb - WordPress UW Theme - Adding Google Search Console to Your Site