L&S TA Training & Orientation
This page contains details about L&S TA Training events. Generally, the Fall Training takes place on the Thursday before classes start. The Spring Training date is more variable - please check this site as Spring semester approaches. TAs will leave the training motivated and equipped to be effective and inclusive teachers.
Upcoming TA Trainings
The Spring 2023 L&S TA Training will take place in-person on Monday, January 23, 2023 from approximately 9am - 5pm. Please check back in late Fall 2022 for more details and registration information.
The Fall 2023 L&S TA Training will take place in-person on Thursday, August 31, 2023 from approximately 9am - 5pm. Please check back in late Spring 2023 for more details and registration information.
Fall 2022 Training
Our live TA training took place on Thursday, Sept 1, 2022. If you missed the training, you are still able to self-enroll in our asynchronous Canvas course at any time. The course includes modules on Pedagogy, Canvas Basics, and Policies & Resources.
Departments wishing to learn more about what is covered in the training can reach out to Lynne Prost for access to the Canvas materials.
The training will help TAs acquire knowledge, skills, and confidence to cultivate engaged, equitable environments where all students (and teachers!) can thrive as they navigate the challenges and joys of learning. To this end, TAs will:
- Understand the importance and impact of good and sustainable teaching.
- Redefine good teaching as a process of designing student-centered learning experiences.
- Appreciate how Backward Design helps teachers intentionally create effective student learning experiences.
- Design a student-centered learning activity using Active Learning Frameworks.
- Use their knowledge of best practices to construct an effective lesson plan.
- Identify essential policies and resources relevant to your TA role.
- Connect personally with peers and an experienced teaching mentor.
Departmental & Other TA Trainings
There are other TA trainings across campus that may be of interest to L&S TAs, including:
L&S TA Training is Run by the L&S TA Training & Support Team
We seek to empower all L&S Teaching Assistants (TAs) to flourish by providing continuous training and support.
We help our TAs acquire knowledge, skills, and confidence to cultivate engaged, equitable environments where all students (and teachers!) can thrive as they navigate the challenges and joys of learning.
We value TAs as whole persons and are dedicated to developing excellent, effective, and empathetic teachers strengthened by sustainable teaching practices.Our Team includes: