L&S TA Training & Orientation
This page contains details about L&S TA Training events. Generally, the Training takes place on the Thursday before classes start each semester (Fall and Spring). The Trainings are mainly designed for new TAs, but all TAs are welcome.
Spring 2022 Training
Fall 2022 TrainingSave the date! Thursday, Sept 1, 2022, approximately 8:30am - 4pm. More details and registration information will be posted in Summer 2022.
Fall 2021 Training
We want every Teaching Assistant to feel supported and energized. Each training focuses on the outcomes listed below.
- Connect personally with peers and an experienced teaching fellow.
- Select strategies for self-care and supporting wellness during the semester.
- Link your TA role to undergraduate student success and the L&S mission.
- Discuss qualities of good teaching and connect these to your own skills and goals.
- Draft an active learning lesson plan for your course.
- Compare strategies for managing difficult classroom situations.
- Explain the basic features of Canvas relevant to your responsibilities as a TA.
- Identify supportive resources for answering key questions and helping your students during the semester.
- Remember essential policies relevant to your TA role.