Data Science Platform - Getting Started
This document explains how to sign up for a Data Science Platform account and use it as part of the pilot.
What is this Pilot for?
Research data is getting bigger and the need to access more computational resources and the ability to publish their research data, code and reports using familiar, user-friendly interfaces is increasing. The Research Cyberinfrastructure group is piloting the RStudio Team software suite as a way to address these needs.
The software runs on Amazon Web Services, allowing easy access to the platforms and published content through a web browser.
RStudio Team consists 3 pieces of software:
- Workbench allows users to use RStudio and JupyterLab interfaces in the cloud to write and run R and Python code just as you would on your local machine, using cloud resources. We are also working on using the JobLauncher feature to send job to local compute resources (‘Workbench’ was also formerly known as ‘Server’)
- Connect allows users to publish a variety of research outputs, such as RMarkdown reports, Jupyter notebooks, Dash and Shiny apps, APIs and more to share their research findings with a broader audience with the click of a button.
- Package manager allows us to control what R packages can be used (currently everything on CRAN) and allows users to publish packages without having to go through CRAN
How do I get access?We have a limited number of seats for the software included on these platforms.
Please fill out the following request form and the service team will let you know when you are approved to access the software: https://go.wisc.edu/e16465
To log into RStudio Workbench
- Go to https://rstudio.it.wisc.edu/
- Click on NetID Login, and sign in via the normal NetID login process
- To open RStudio, select “New Project” to create an R project or “New session” to continue without a project.
- Use as you would RStudio or Jupyter Lab locally.
To log into Connect
- Go to https://data-viz.it.wisc.edu/
- Click “Log in” in the upper right hand corner.
- Log in with your NetID credentials.
- See the User’s Guide for how to get started.
Configuring Connect in RStudio IDE/Workbench to publish to ConnectNote that you may need to configure your RStudio instance to use our package manager (http://rstudio-manager.it.wisc.edu/cran/latest) in the Global Options so that the appropriate packages are installed on RStudio Connect when you publish. See https://support.rstudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/360004067074-Managing-Packages-with-RStudio for more detail on this.
If you have trouble connecting or logging into our service or for any other questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll get back to you ASAP.
Additionally, RStudio provides excellent help documentation and tutorials to get you started.