Computer Labs - Reimaging Loaner Mac Laptops with a Provisioner Drive
Instructions for imaging a mac laptop once it is in circulation through the InfoLabs
Imaging a Mac Laptop
- Plug a Mac Provisioner flash drive into the computer
- Hold Option (⌥) while powering the Mac on until the Apple logo disappears
- If you see an option to boot to "Install macOS Big Sur", choose that and press enter (see image below).
- If no options appear, then press Command-R to boot into Recovery Mode.
- At this point in the process you may encounter a language picker. Choose English and continue.
- At this point in the process you may a firmware update dialogue, choose update and wait for restart.
- Once in recovery mode, navigate to the top bar > Utilities > Terminal to open the terminal window (see image below).
- In the terminal window, type the below command and press Enter:
- The Mac will stay in recovery mode for roughly 5 minutes before restarting and entering the general imaging state. You may remove the USB after the computer restarts.