(System) - How to shutdown a library temporarily
How to turn off a library temporarily due to construction or staffing
- Communicate to patrons that the library will be closed.
- Open a Redmine ticket providing the details, like the estimated time of closure, etc. If this is going to be many months - we may move you down in the rota if there are extenuating circumstances.
- Add your closure dates to the library status wiki page - https://wiki.doit.wisc.edu/confluence/display/ULSS/Library+Status+Page
- Turn off Resource Sharing lending
- Alma Configuration> switch to that library level>Fulfillment>Library Details
- Under Lending details - check inactive for lending and provide the dates. It is better to over extend or make sure you update the dates if the timeline changes.
- Click Save
- Announce the closure to your patrons via your website. You can also add a banner to Primo or request someone from D/F add it for you.
- Clear the hold shelf of the closing library and contact the patron's that they have until x date to pickup the item, else it would be returned. Or you can transfer the items to another library by editing the request. Turn off the library's hold shelf on the day of the closure or .
- Alma Configuration>switch to the library level>Fulfillment>Circulation Desk
- Un-check has hold shelf - this remove it as a pickup option in Primo
- Click Save
- Madison has an additional step for Forward
- If the library is completely closed and no staff will be operating in it or on that side of Alma enter in the closed days into the calendar.
- If you have multiple libraries and this library could delivery items to another library (like a branch library to the main library), you have the option to place a request block for the locations at that library in the general and media fulfillment units. This will make it so staff don't need to check the pick from shelf from that library.
- In Illiad, if that is not going to be an option -
- Update the login page and remove that library from the pickup options - you can also open a redmine and ask Curran to do this for you.
- Once the closure is complete, reverse all the steps.