University Committee Meeting Minutes 2022-06-06
Minutes for June 6, 2022
UC members present: Bernard-Donals, Tejedo-Herrero, Papp (chair), Thibeault, Zweibel;
Also present: Ruth Schriefer, Justin Hougham, Pattie Carroll, Lesley Fisher, Jake Smith, Jane Richard, Gideon Elliott, Michelle Felber
Chair Papp called the meeting to order at 1:00. The minutes of the meeting of May 23, 2022 were approved with a minor revision.
The UC reviewed their own Operating Procedures and
Grievance Procedures. The dual role procedure will be addressed this summer,
with the intention of defining those that do not need to be approved by the UC,
such as courses for non-students to earn a non-academic certificate, or other
kinds of professional development courses.
The UC made preliminary assignments for 2022-23:
· Big10 Academic Alliance Representative: Lauren Papp
· Committee on Committees (two members): Michael Bernard-Donals, Fernando Tejedo-Herrero
· Faculty Consultative Committee on Financial Emergency (two members): Lauren Papp, Fernando Tejedo-Herrero
· PROFS Board of Directors (all members)
· PROFS Steering Committee (three or more members): Susan Thibeault, Michael Bernard-Donals, Fernando Tejedo-Herrero, Lauren Papp
· Rule waivers: Chaio-Ping Li, and Ellen Zweibel
· UAPC: Susan Thibeault
· URC: Lauren Papp
· UW System rep: Eric Sandgren, immediate past chair of UC, volunteered to continue and will be asked for regular updates
· UW system back up: Ellen Zweibel
Members of the Division of Extension participated in a thoughtful discussion regarding the Division’s request of the UC to:
1. Confirm that the appropriate Faculty Policies and Procedures and UW Policies were followed to ensure that restructuring and discontinuing the Department of Extension Faculty is needed and in the best interest of the state of Wisconsin and its people, and
2. Extend the June 30, 2022 deadline to select from the three options presented for the faculty’s continued academic careers at UW-Madison.
Papp moved to convene in closed session, it was seconded and approved at 1:58. One tenure clock extension and one leave of absence were approved.
Papp moved to reconvene in open session; it was seconded and approved at 2:38.
Papp moved that the University Committee request a deadline extension from the Interim Chancellor for Extension faculty to choose whether to move to an academic staff position. Seconded. Approved unanimously.
Papp moved to look into whether Faculty Policies and Procedures and other policies were followed correctly in offering Extension faculty the choice to move to an academic staff position. Seconded. Approved.
Adjourned at 3:13 pm.