UW-Madison Google Workspace - Prepare for the upcoming storage quotas
This document provides an overview on how to prepare for upcoming storage quotas that will impact UW-Madison Google Workspace My Drive accounts.
- Project background
- Important dates
- Storage request overview
- Request form
- Requests for more than a 500 GB quota
Note: The content below is subject to change at any time without notice.
Effective June 1, 2023, UW-Madison My Drive and shared drive accounts will have a minimum 25 GB storage quota. This change is in response to Google introducing a new storage model that eliminates free, unlimited storage and will enforce a service-wide storage cap on July 1, 2024.
My Drive and shared drive accounts exceeding the minimum 25 GB quota will be given a temporary quota until May 31, 2024. Temporary quotas consist of an individual's existing storage usage plus a small additional storage to allow continued access and collaboration for the interim. Individuals can request a long-term storage exception to override the minimum 25 GB by submitting an exception request form. This form will be available starting June 1, 2023.
Below is an example of a temporary quota:
- Current storage usage: 276 GB
- Storage buffer: 14 GB temporarily added to the account
- Temporary quota: 300 GB until May 31, 2024 or a long-term exception is submitted
- June 1, 2023:
- Temporary quota goes into effect for those using more than 25 GB of data.
- Form to request a long-term quota exception goes live.
- May 31, 2024:
- Deadline to reduce storage usage below 25 GB OR request a quota exception.
- July 1, 2024:
- Google enforces campus-wide storage quota.
Storage request overview for My Drive and Shared drives
- The requestor must be eligible for the UW-Madison Google Workspace service.
- Additional storage requests cannot exceed 500 GB storage quota.
- Service accounts are not eligible.
Request a long-term storage quota increase for your UW-Madison Google Workspace My Drive.
Note: Before requesting additional storage, review files and delete items that are no longer needed. Google Workspace is most valuable when used for real-time collaboration and file sharing. If you need to back up or archive files, please consider using another storage provider.
Requests for more than a 500 GB quota
Email the project team for a consultation at email@example.com .
- View your My Drive storage usage and manage your content.
- Delete folders/files that are no longer needed.
- View your temporary quota (visible starting June 1, 2023).
- View shared drives membership permissions.
- View shared drive storage usage.
- Delete unwanted shared drives.
- Move My Drive folders to a shared drive.
- Understand changes to file access after moving content from My Drive to a shared drive.
- Understand what happens when you meet or exceed your storage quota.
- Email the project team at firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Attend virtual office hours.
- View the Reshaping the Google Workspace Service project page.