If you are hosting an event or gathering that is purely social in nature, a pre-approval functions form MUST be submitted 2 weeks prior to the date of the event. An example of this would be going out to dinner with a speaker or hosting a reception lunch
Examples of functions and expenses that may be considered appropriate are (not a comprehensive list):
- Functions for parents of preregistering students.
- Inauguration ceremony for a new chancellor.
- Functions for graduating classes and their parents.
- Functions for community leaders, prominent visitors, legislators, officials, or leaders of educational programs.
- Functions for Board of Visitors or officials from other public or private institutions.
- Functions related to the opening of new facilities and dedication ceremonies.
- Functions for officially recognized student groups. Link to University Official Student Groups.
- Recognition functions to honor distinguished faculty, staff, and students for significant, meritorious achievements.
- Faculty, staff, and student recruitment events.
- Travel expenses for a spouse/significant other/companion to accompany an applicant on a UW-Madison job interview trip.
- Employee recognition and morale/team building events such as honoring an employee retiring or separating from the university with at least five years of service and annual holiday/general appreciation events.
- Nominal gifts—excluding gift cards and cash equivalents—related to employee major life events such as weddings, births, or death in a family. Nominal gifts must be:
- Flowers; or
- UW-logoed items less than $50.00.
- Meal expenses associated with an official function up to $150.00 per person including alcohol expenses paid by the Wisconsin Foundation Alumni Association.
- Lodging expenses for non-university employees attending an official function that exceed the university’s lodging maximums for the location.
- Airfare expenses for non-university employees attending an official function are not restricted to economy/coach class fares.
More on the policy here: https://policy.wisc.edu/library/UW-3075