UW-Madison Fee Policy
With the administrative transition of all campus Institutional Review Boards (IRBs) to the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research and Graduate Education, the School of Medicine & Public Health (SMPH) IRB policy will be retired and all studies reviewed by UW-Madison IRBs transitioned to the new policy. Studies reviewed by independent IRBs continue to be subject to those fee schedules.
- UW-Madison Fee policy as of December 1, 2019 Industry-sponsored studies ceded to independent (commercial) IRBs will be subject to the IRB fee schedule of the independent IRB overseeing those studies.
Prior Fee Policies
- UW-Madison Fee policy as of January 1, 2019
- HS IRBs Fee Policy as of August 7, 2015
- WIRB Fee Policy as of August 7, 2015
- Commercial IRB Fee Policy as of January 1, 2018
- HS IRBs Fee Policy as of July 1, 2008
- HS IRBs Fee Policy prior to July 1, 2008
- WIRB Fee policy for studies prior to August 7, 2015
Single IRB for Multi-Site ResearchThe National Institutes of Health (NIH) policy for the use of a single IRB for multi-site research permits institutions to charge for direct costs associated with single IRB review (e.g., for the review of activities performed for personnel outside their institutions). At this time, the UW-Madison will not charge IRB fees under the NIH Single IRB Policy. However, some institutions are charging single IRB review fees, which must be accounted for in NIH grant budgets at the time that the grant application is submitted. For additional guidance regarding this NIH policy and its budget implications, please see Single IRB Guidance for UW Research Administrators.
For Further Assistance
- Send an email to email@example.com, and please include the protocol number, PI name, and type of submission (initial submission, continuing review, change of protocol).
- Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, and include the protocol number, PI name, and type of submission (initial submission, continuing review, change of protocol).