Naming a Building or Room
This document outlines the procedure to follow when recognizing an individual or group by naming a facility in their honor.
The naming of university facilities must be in accord with policies established by the Board of Regents, and should follow a particular route of approval:
- Originating department proposes name for facility via a request addressed to the Dean.
- The Dean presents the proposal to the L&S Academic Planning Council for approval.
- Once approved, the request is forwarded with the Dean's endorsement to the Campus Planning Committee.
- The Campus Planning Committee forwards approved requests to the Chancellor. (Room naming will be advanced through the Space and Remodeling Policies Committee to the Vice Chancellor for Administration.)
- Please note that existing campus procedures also require that all fundraising efforts tied to proposed naming opportunities be approved by the Chancellor. We expect a detailed “naming opportunities” list to be prepared before fundraising approval can be given. Contact the Space Management Office for assistance and coordination throughout the naming processes. Staff will assist in preparing the appropriate documentation and help guide requests through the appropriate committees for the Chancellor’s approval.
This process is described in greater detail here.
There is also a policy to govern the naming of rooms or facilities less than an whole building, details here.
For more information, please contact Assistant Dean Chris Bruhn.