Who Serves on the L&S Academic Planning Council
The L&S Academic Planning Council advises the Dean on planning, program, and fiscal matters, and plays an important role in College governance activities. The Dean chairs the Council's weekly meetings, where topics that affect the whole college (and often, the rest of the university) are discussed by elected and appointed members. Academic and Administrative Deans serve as ex Officio observers to advise the council. Agendas are prepared by the Associate Dean for Academic Planning, in consultation with the Dean and Academic Associate Deans.
Contact Information: Elaine M. Klein, Associate Dean for Academic Planning (email@example.com)
L&S Academic Planning Council
The College of Letters and Science Academic Planning Council is the main governance committee for the college. It is composed of members who are elected from and by the L&S faculty, and from and by the academic staff. The Dean chairs the council. Faculty members are elected from each of the major divisions of the College. One academic staff member is elected from among the instructional staff, and the other is elected from among the research staff. The Dean also appoints three ex officio members, one nominated by the Classified Staff Issues Committee and two others, who serve as chairs of key L&S committees (the L&S Curriculum Committee and the L&S Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee).
The L&S Associate Deans and several other members of L&S Administration regularly attend Council meetings to lead discussion and advise the elected members should the need arise. Guests are invited as expertise is needed, and per requirements of Faculty Policies and Procedures.
Associate Dean Elaine Klein works with the Dean to coordinate APC business. (The L&S APC Operating Procedures provide additional information about how the council is composed and conducts its business.)
The Academic Planning Council members serving in Fall 2023 are:
- Catherine Arnott Smith, Information School (Dean's ad hoc appointee in Fall 2023)
- Catherine Auger, Integrative Biology (Instructional Academic Staff representative, year 2 of 3)
- Isa Dolski, Center for Healthy Minds (Dean's ad hoc appointee in Fall 2023, serving as Research Academic Staff representative)
- Juan Egea, Spanish & Portuguese (year 1 of 2)
- Peter Haney, Chican@ and Latin@ studies (University Staff Issues Committee appointee, year 2, renewable)
- Jessica Johnson, Mead Witter School of Music (year 1 of 3)
- Chaeyoon Lim, Sociology (year 1 of 3)
- Lori Lopez, Communication Arts (L&S Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee Co-chair)
- Jeremy Morris, Communication Arts (year 1 of 2)
- Susan Ridgely, Religious Studies (ex-officio, L&S Curriculum Committee Chair)
- Sebastien Roch, Mathematics (year 1 of 3)
- Jake Vander Zanden, Integrative Biology (year 1 of 3)
Elections to the L&S APC are held in the Spring term, for three-year terms beginning the following Fall. Faculty elections are coordinated by the Associate Dean for Academic Planning, in consultation with the Academic Associate Deans to whom nominations are submitted. Academic Staff elections are coordinated by the L&S Committee on Academic Staff Issues (CASI). The L&S University Staff Issues Committee (USIC) nominates a member to serve as the liaison to the APC.
- L&S Academic Planning Council
- L&S Academic Planning Council Meetings, Deadlines, and Contact
- L&S Academic Planning Council Meeting - Agendas and Notes