Depositing Gifts into UW Foundation Funds and 233- Projects
Overview of depositing gifts into UW Foundation Funds and 233- Projects, including how to determine if it is a gift, and whether it goes to UW Foundation or a UW 233- Project.
The UW receives money from many sources and in many forms. Grants from a sponsor are 144- or 133- funds, not gift money. If you think you have a donation, then you'll need to determine if it truly is a gift, and then process it either as a deposit to a departmental account at the UW Foundation or as a deposit directly into a 233- project.
Is it a Gift or Grant?It's a GRANT if the giver requires detailed financial reports reports, claims rights, applies restrictions, expects specific deliverables, sets an end date, and/or can take back the money.
- Start a WISPER record and process like a proposal.
- Contact L&S pre-award (John G. Varda, supervisor).
It's a GIFT if the money is unrestricted, for general purposes, and is irrevocable.
***Temporary GIFT Submission Guideline as of March 16, 2020 (COVID-19 Pandemic) ***
To accommodate working remotely, we are accepting electronic signature and/or email confirmation in lieu of ink signatures. The same documentation is needed, however, the submission process has been adjusted.
- Gift checks made out to the UW Foundation or a specific Foundation fund for deposit should be mailed directly to UW Foundation lockbox with a completed UW Foundation Gift Deposit Form. Please email a copy of the form (and check, if possible but not required) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the Request # and department in the subject line of the email.
U.S. Bank Lockbox 78807
Milwaukee, WI 53278-0807
- Gift checks made out to a department (233 deposit) should be mailed directly to Accounts Payable with a Routing Form. Email an additional electronically signed or email approved Routing Form to email@example.com.
- In the email subject line of the email please include the Request # and department name.
- The email confirmation from the authorized signer should also include the amount of the request in the body of the email.
- Email all of the above and completed forms in a PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org. Mary Machaj and Ben Ball will review for processing with Accounting Services.
21 N Park
- Process as a gift with L&S Gift, Grants & Trust (Ben Ball).
- If the check is payable to "UW Foundation," use the UW Foundation Gift Deposit Form (Log in, hover over Fund Management in red navigation bar, select "Gift & Special Deposit" from the pull down menu) to deposit it into a departmental UW Foundation fund.
- If the check is payable to "UW-Madison" or "Dept of _____," use the Gift Check Routing Form to deposit it into a departmental 233- project.
- Attach documentation to your submission that proves the money is a gift. This documentation could be a copy of the correspondence from the donor, a letter, card, note, or email that indicates this is a gift or donation. Sometimes a donor will write "gift" or "donation" in the memo of the check, this is sufficient documentation. This documentation becomes part of the record that proves the money was a gift and not a grant.
- What if there is no correspondence from the donor? Attach a copy of the gift acknowledgment letter. The department is required to send a gift acknowledgement letter to the donor, so you should prepare this letter whether or not you need it as documentation for your gift deposit. Here's more info about gift acknowledgment: https://kb.wisc.edu/ls/page.php?id=42818.
- If you want to trasnfer funds to a UW 233 account, please see https://kb.wisc.edu/ls/page.php?id=20141
- Anything that can be paid by UW funding sources cannot be paid by UW Foundation.
- Anyone can donate to UW Foundation or to the UW.
- Some things cannot donate: governmental agencies, including Universities, cannot give gifts.
UW FOUNDATION CHECK REQUEST (login, click on Fund Management in red navigation bar, select "Check/ACH Request" from the pull down menu)GIFT CHECK ROUTING FORM (Select Gift Routing form in "Routing and Approvals section of page, on next window select "Check Routing Form - Create New Entry")
UW FOUNDATION: 1848 University Avenue, 263-4545
UW Foundation Management System
ACCOUNTING SERVICES: 21 N. Park St. Suite 6101, 262-1214
http://www.bussvc.wisc.edu/acct/acct.html Gifts: http://www.bussvc.wisc.edu/acct/gifts/gifts.html
RSP: 21 N. Park St. Suite 6401, 262-3822
http://www.rsp.wisc.edu/ Gifts: http://www.rsp.wisc.edu/gifts/index.html
L&S: Ben Ball, 201D South Hall, 265-1170, email@example.com
Please send forms to Mary Machaj,South Hall ****PLEASE SEE TEMPORARY SUBMISSION GUIDELINES ABOVE****
- Questions? Contact Mary Machaj: 263:2316 or Ben Ball via Teams or 265-1175
- Transferring Funds from UW Foundation to 233- Projects
- L&S: How to pay using UW Foundation Funds
- L & S UW Foundation Overview
- How to clear overdrafts on L & S fund 233 UW Foundation sponsored gift accounts
- L & S Frequently Asked Questions related to Gifts UW-Madison and UW Foundation
- L & S Gift Acknowledgment