L&S Teaching Assistant and Project Assistant Appointment Letter Templates
This document contains templates to help department staff prepare appointment letters for graduate assistants appointed as Teaching and Project Assistants.
- Fall 2020:
- Payroll Start Date: August 17, 2020
- Payroll End Date: December 31, 2020
- Spring 2021:
- Payroll Start Date: January 1, 2021
- Payroll End Date: May 16, 2021
Academic Year PA letter Templates:
Most PAs are moving to non-exempt roles. If you have a PA that has another appointment (such as TA) which maintains their status as exempt, please send the appointment details (both appointment UDDS, title, dates, percent etc), along with a draft of the appropriate exempt PA letter to your STS/SA HR Rep BEFORE appointing the student.
Summer 2020 PA Letter Template:
Important notes about these sample letters:
- DO NOT use these letters for hourly project assistant [reader/grader] appointments or for other types of graduate assistant appointments.
- MODIFY this letter to suit your department's needs and tone; however, if your format differs from this model it must be sent to your department's STS/SA HR Rep for review.
- SEND a copy of this document to the TA's or PA's department of graduate study, if different from the employing unit.
The College of Letters & Science eliminated the senior/standard distinction for our TAs in favor of one rate for departments that are more than 10% below their peers and another rate for those within 10% of their peers ($44,000 and $40,000, respectively in 2019-20).
- JEMS still requires payroll representatives to select either senior or standard, so continue to identify as “senior” any TAs who were payrolled as senior as of Spring 2018.
- Enter any other TA appointments as “standard” moving forward. Use of the title “senior” thus will be phased out as current senior TAs move on from the program.
- You are free to maintain the use of a senior/standard distinction (or other terms of your choosing) as a way to identify a hierarchy for non-payroll purposes (e.g., eligibility for awards or other recognition, or eligibility to become a head TA, etc.) but for payroll purposes, TAs who are not “grandfathered in” as senior TAs should be entered as “standard” in JEMS.
- TA appointment letters should continue to identify the title as “Teaching Assistant – Standard or Teaching Assistant - Senior” as appropriate.
If you have questions about these documents, please contact Brian Bubenzer (firstname.lastname@example.org, 265-0603). For campus policies related to graduate assistants, please visit https://hr.wisc.edu/policies/gapp/.
For reader/grader documents, please go here.