Declaring Additional Majors Within L&S
The following section explains the rules for L&S undergraduate students pursuing more than one major.
All Letters & Science undergraduate students may satisfy the requirements for more than one major.
It is possible for an L&S undergraduate to declare more than one major if they are eligible to declare the additional major(s). Students are required to complete all requirements for each major they have declared. Any L&S undergraduate student interested in declaring or canceling an L&S major, certificate or option in the College of Letters & Science will need to meet with an academic advisor in the appropriate major department or unit. Students must make sure they consult with their advisor for each major since majors will limit the number of credits/coursework that can be used for multiple majors. For general information on L&S major requirements, see degree/major/certificates.
- All L&S undergraduate students must declare and complete at least one (1) major in addition to all of the other degree requirements in order to graduate. Students are required to declare a major by the time they have earned 86 credits. See when do I need to declare a major in the College of Letters & Science?
- If a student has declared more than one major but does not plan to complete the 2nd or additional major(s), the student must go back to the department(s) to undeclare the the additional major(s). Students cannot graduate until all requirements in all declared majors have been completed.
- L&S undergraduate can only be approved for one Individual Major. For more information about the possibility of pursuing an Individual Major in L&S, please refer to Individual Major.
- If a student exceeds 165 credits when pursuing a double major or additional majors, there is an extra tuition surcharge per credit. More information regarding this topic is available on the Registrar's fee assessment page. Please refer to excess cumulative credits for more information.
- Currently L&S undergraduate students are only able to declare two (2) majors outside of L&S. These two majors are Education Studies and Theatre and Drama within the School of Education. Additional information about declaring these two majors can be found at is it possible to for an L&S undergraduate to declare a major outside of the College of Letters & Science.
- If an L&S undergraduate student is interested in pursuing a non L&S major besides the two mentioned above, the L&S undergraduate will need to transfer out of L&S into the new school or college (i.e., College of Engineering, School of Education, etc.). Thus, the student will no longer be considered a degree-seeking candidate in L&S after transferring to the new school/college.
- Once the L&S undergraduate student transfers into his/her new school/college on the UW-Madison campus, the student can keep his/her L&S major as a double/second major in L&S with the approval of the undergraduate academic dean in the new school/college.
Resources for Questions:
L&S Student Academic Affairs: (608) 262-0617, email@example.com
L&S Academic Advising Services: (608) 262-5858, firstname.lastname@example.org