Checking Disk Quota - available and maximum
Maximum allowed disk space
First thing, how much disk space do you have anyway? Here is a general rule of thumb:
- When a CAE account is created, is is given a base allotment of 2 GB.
- College of Engineering undergrads are given additional 6 GB (8 GB total).
- CoE grad students get an additional 10 GB to the base allotment (12 GB total).
- CoE faculty/staff get an additional 23 GB to the base allotment (25 GB total).
- Other factors that affect allotment include special course requirements and purchased disk space.
Checking current vs. maximum disk usageAlthough there are a few ways to check your disk space from Windows and Linux machines, this is the way CAE suggests:.
From your CAE account page:
This is the easiest way, just access this link from any computer: https://account.my.cae.wisc.edu/disk
One useful tool is Windows Trash Analysis, great for clearing clutter. Unless your trashed files (Recycle Bin in Windows) are emptied, they still count against your disk quota.
To find large files in your file space, please refer to KB article [Link for document 17845 is unavailable at this time.]