Departmental VPN - Requesting a VPN Connection as a Network Administrator
If you are a department network administrator and are interested in setting up a local VPN connection for your department users, you can submit a request to the DoIT Help Desk. The Help Desk will then pass on your information to Network Services for processing.
If a network administrator contacts the Help Desk to submit a request for a Departmental VPN connection, fill out a WiscIT case with the following information:
- Name of the Departmental VPN
- VLAN number
- Four IP addresses to be used by the VPN device
- Type of departmental authentication service
- IP Address(es) of the department authentication servers
- Username and password to be used by the VPN device
- LDAP Search Path
- Split Tunneling options
- DNS servers the remote VPN clients should use
- DNS domain name
- Idle timeout
- Temporary user username/password
- Maximum VPN session time length
- Firewall rules required
If a network administrator is unsure of a particular piece of setup information, it is not the responsibility of a Help Desk agent to understand the specifics of these items. If necessary, provide them with a case number and ask them to contact us again once they have gathered the required information.
Once the above information has been recorded in a WiscIT case, make sure the service is set to Departmental VPN and the type is set to Request, then escalate the case to Network Services.