Connecting to VMware vCenter & Auxiliary Services
DoIT's VMware vSphere instances require certain clients and/or specific URLs for access. You may also import the Virtualization Team's root certificate authority certificate to prevent SSL errors.
DoIT's VMware vSphere instances can be connected to via the VMware Web Clients:
- https://cci-vcenter-a1.cci.wisc.edu/ for CCI Virtualization (99.9% of all VMs are here)
- The HTML5 client is the preferred client for system administrators and avoids issues with Adobe Flash
- https://virtualcenter.doit.wisc.edu/vsphere-client/ for legacy hosting
- Downloading them from https://cci-vcenter-a1.cci.wisc.edu/certs/download.zip
- Extract the contents of the ZIP file. The result is a folder that contains two types of files. Files with a number as the extension (.0, .1, and so on) are root certificates. Files with an extension that starts with an r (.r0,. r1, and so on) are CRL files associated with a certificate.
- Install the certificate files as trusted certificates by following the process that is appropriate for your operating system. For most Microsoft Windows systems, you can follow the instructions at https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754841.aspx