NetID Login Service - Service Description
This document gives an overview of the NetID Login Service. It is divided into the following sections:
The NetID Login Service provides applications with a means to authenticate using NetID and password. It was designed to give application administrators a reliable way to allow access to their data, without setting up their own authorization system.
The NetID Login Service works as follows:
- User attempts to access a protected web resource.
- If user has authenticated recently (within the last 8 hours), they are granted access. Otherwise, they are redirected to the UW Central Authentication site (https://login.wisc.edu)
- The UW Central Authentication site will prompt for NetID and password. If the user successfully authenticates, they will be redirected to the original resource.
For more information, please see [Link for document 19750 is unavailable at this time.].
To receive NetID Login Service support from the DoIT Help Desk, you must:
- Have a valid NetID and eligible to access a NetID Login Service protected application, or be an application administrator.
- Be using a NetID Login Service Recommended Browser.
The NetID Login Service login page is located at https://login.wisc.edu. Any user with a valid NetID can login; however, you must have special authorization to use any of the applications protected by the NetID Login Service.