Symantec Endpoint Protection- Service Description
This document explains the university's agreement with the Symantec Corporation in providing UW-Madison students, faculty, and staff with antivirus software. It is divided into the following sections:
UW-Madison has contracted with Symantec to provide students, faculty, and staff with antivirus and firewall software. Currently, Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) is offered for all supported operating systems.
All students, faculty, and staff are eligible to use the software through UW's contract. Symantec provides comprehensive virus protection and firewall software for enterprise workstations. Antivirus software is also compatible with servers.
This software package allows users to:
- Use antivirus software to actively scan their computer for viruses.
- Use LiveUpdate to update software and definitions to stay ahead of the latest virus threats.
- Use firewall software to control network traffic to prevent some spyware and viruses from getting on your system.
Some departments have their own centrally managed version of Symantec or Norton that differs from the version available to students, faculty, and staff. They also may be running different products entirely, such as McAfee. If you are unsure which version you are running, please contact your local administrator.
The DoIT Help Desk provides support for all UW students, faculty, and staff provided you are using one of the following versions.
- Windows and Mac OS X: SEP 11.x or later.
If your department has a centrally managed version of Symantec or Norton, please contact your local administrator first.
Students, faculty, and staff can download the installers at https://software.wisc.edu/.
Note: A high speed internet connection is recommended.
- Windows: Symantec Endpoint Protection is available as either a 32 or 64-bit client. If you are unsure of which version you should use, use the following document to determine which type of operating system you have installed: Windows (Vista, 7, 8, &10) - Determining 32-bit or 64-bit Versions
- Mac: The version of Symantec Endpoint Protection currently offered for Mac OS X is compatible with 10.6, 10.6, and 10.7. A version compatible with 10.8 is currently unavailable, although it should be offered with the next release update in the near future.
The DoIT Walk-In Help Desk has flash drives containing SEP that can be used to install the program if needed; however, these can only be used at the Walk-In Help Desk and cannot be given out.