- LINK TO REVIEWER'S TOOLS: Go to http://oar.wisc.edu/ and choose the Reviewer role on the left hand side of the screen.
- PURPOSE OF A REVIEW: The fundamental purpose of a review is to examine the information submitted on an individual Outside Activities Report (OAR) to
determine whether issues exist related to the completeness of the OAR or a potential conflict of commitment.
WHAT TO LOOK FOR: While performing a review, it is important to routinely check for the following:
Determine who has not yet completed their annual OAR and ask them to do so as soon as possible (prior to the annual April 30th deadline). Those in your unit who have not completed an annual OAR will be highlighted in yellow in your search results in the Reviewer's Tools.
Review individual OARs for completeness.
- The Dean, chair or other departmental designee is unlikely to know of all outside activities engaged in by faculty and staff in one’s department.
- If one is aware of unreported activities, a reminder of the duty to report is warranted.
Review outside activities to determine whether they are consistent with University regulations specific to:
- Commitment - The amount of time spent on outside activities should not interfere with an employee's ability to carry out his or her assigned University duties.
- Use of Facilities - University facilities used in support of outside activities must have a University-approved facilities used agreement in place before any use of University facilities. Facilities use agreements are prepared and approved by working with the Office of Industrial Partnerships.
- Use of students or supervised staff - Participation of students or supervised staff in outside activities should be supervised by the departmental chair.
Review potential conflicts of interest as they might relate to clinical or other professional duties.
- Determine who has not yet completed their annual OAR and ask them to do so as soon as possible (prior to the annual April 30th deadline). Those in your unit who have not completed an annual OAR will be highlighted in yellow in your search results in the Reviewer's Tools.
HOW TO COMPLETE REVIEWS: Basic instructions for using the Reviewers’ Tools are provided below. To begin your reviews, please login to the OAR Dashboard with your NetID.
- To begin your reviews, please select the "Reviewer" role from your OAR Dashboard. All pending reviews will be displayed in one of the "Review Needed" tabs. You may filter your reviews by name, year, federal funding (Fed), human subjects research (HS), Public Health Service (PHS), UDDS, and UDDS name from the filter line at the top of each tab.
- For each individual with entities to report, the columns display
- A list of entities the individual has a relationship with (Entity),
- The number of days spent with each entity (Days),
- And end date if the relationship has ended (Ended),
- Amount of compensation received in the past year and the current year,
- Amount of ownership, if any; and,
- Management status
- To add a comment about an individual, click the comment bubble, add the comment, and click "ok." Comments appear in the "Current Year Completed Reviews" tab with the date of the comment and the name of the person who made the comment. If a comment has been entered about an individual, the comment bubble appears in red. If there are no comments, the comment bubble appears in blue.
*note* Entering a comment does NOT complete a review, you must click the review checkbox for a review to be considered completed.
- Once you have reviewed an individual or group of individuals, you may save your reviews by clicking the corresponding check box. Completed reviews appear in the "current year completed reviews" tab with the date of the review and the name of the reviewer.