Academic Staff Executive Committee Minutes 08-30-12
Approved September 6, 2012
1:30-3:00 p.m. Thursday, August 30, 2012
Union South-5th Quarter Round, 2nd Floor
Members present: Daña Alder, Vice-Chair; Marwa Bassiouni; Heather Daniels, Past-Chair; Denny Hackel, Jim Maynard, Robert Newsom, Jeff Shokler, Chair; Erin Silva.
Members absent: Heather McFadden.
Guests: Karen Tusack, CEBC.
The meeting was called to order at 1:30 p.m.
The ASEC minutes of Thursday, August 23, 2012 were approved with minor corrections.
Chair – Jeff Shokler: The ASEC chair and Interim Secretary of the Academic Staff will schedule monthly meetings with Associate Vice Chancellor Steve Stern.
Interim Secretary of the Academic Staff – Jo Ann Carr: ASEC’s responses to the HR Design project have been posted on the academic staff website athttp://acstaff.wisc.edu/academic-staff-resources.htm. Assembly members have been informed about the September 24th meeting and are being asked to complete a Qualtrics survey to indicate their ability to attend.
· HR Design: Advisory Motions on competencies, as set forth below, were moved, seconded and approved as noted.
- ASEC does not support the wholesale adoption of a competencies based approach to recruiting and performance management. ASEC recommends a pilot in the division of the Office of Human Resources to determine the scope of resources and time that would be needed to implement such a system across the UW-Madison campus. (Moved by Heather Daniels, seconded by Daña Alder. Approved unanimously.)
- ASEC does not support the definition of organization-wide competencies because they would be too broad at that scale to be useful. (Moved by Jim Maynard, seconded by Heather Daniels. Approved with one abstention.)
· The September 10, 2012 Assembly Agenda was revised.
· Next ASEC Meeting, September 6, 2012– for decision.
- Educational Innovations-Jeff Russell
- 2012-2013 Priorities
Chair Jeff Shokler adjourned the meeting at 2:46 p.m.
Submitted by Jo Ann Carr, Interim Secretary of the Academic Staff.