Academic Staff Executive Committee Minutes 11-07-12
Approved November 8, 2012
3:00-5:00, Wednesday, November 7
Bascom Hall, Room 270
Members Present: Daña Alder, Vice-Chair; Heather Daniels, Past-Chair; Denny Hackel, Heather McFadden, Robert Newsom, Jeff Shokler, Chair; Erin Silva.
Members Not Present: Marwa Bassiouni, Jim Maynard
Guests: Steve Lund, Debbie Weber
The meeting was called to order at 3:01 p.m.
GUEST: Steve Lund responded that legislative approval of the new HRD might be easier with a single party in the majority in both houses of the legislature. Reviewed the concerns of faculty senate. Will be more inclusive of governance language. Living wage for contracted employees will not be resolved but OHR is taking a look at what is through DOA/what is through UW and the costs. OHR will provide a final decision on all the things that effect ‘university staff’ regarding those issues that impact their employment including right of return, taking out indefinite as an appointment type for the classified. Some faculty feels that faculty governance is the final decision. They want the Chancellor’s final plan to go to the Faculty Senate for approval. In addition there is a continuing evolution in what must go to the BOR, balancing the inclusion of what is required by statute and what is practical. Must go to JoCER in March. OHR will meet with the executive sponsors on November 20, and, assuming the Chancellor signs off at that point, they try to distribute the document on November 21. The faculty will then vote on this document on December 3. OHR needs to determine what, if anything, will be sent to the Regents on November 30. ASEC requested a e-briefing from Steve following the meeting on November 21 to determine whether a special ASEC meeting is needed. ASEC will ask Steve to share the timeline at the ASA meeting. ASEC will also share their plans for response to the plan released after the November 20 meeting. ASEC also inquired about the source of comments on “Issues related to HR Design”. Steve also reviewed the addendum and asked for clarification of some items.
- HR Design Strategic Plan Resolution:
- Moved to rescind the HR Design Resolution approved by ASEC on November 1, 2012. (Moved by Heather Daniels . Seconded by Daña Alder. Approved.)
- Moved to approve a HR Design Strategic Plan Resolution and addendum for presentation to the Assembly on November 12, 2012. (Moved by Daña Alder. Seconded by Heather Daniels. Approved.)
- 2011-2012 Academic Staff Annual Report
- Moved to rescind the 2011-2012 Academic Staff Annual Report approved by ASEC on October 18, 2012. (Moved by Heather McFadden Seconded by Daña Alder. Approved.)
- Moved to approve a revision of the 2011-2012 Academic Staff Annual Report for presentation to the Assembly on November 12, 2012. (Moved by Daña Alder. Seconded by Heather Daniels Approved.)
Adjourned at 3:51 p.m.
Submitted by Jo Ann Carr, Interim Secretary of the Academic Staff.