HS-IRBs News November 2013
Health Sciences and Minimal Risk IRBs, IRB News / Volume 5, Number 11, November 2013
HS-IRBs Office Closure
The HS-IRBs office will be closed Thursday, November 28th, in observance of the Thanksgiving holiday. The ARROW helpline also will not be staffed on November 28th. The office will be open Friday, November 29th, with limited hours and coverage, including the ARROW helpline.
Reminder: HS-IRBs' Education and Outreach Survey
To assist the HS-IRBs' office in assessing its current outreach efforts and developing future educational programs, we are conducting a short survey of the research community. Thank you very much to the over 130 people who have responded so far! We hope to hear from more study teams before the survey closes at the end of November. Your feedback will be very helpful in shaping both our current and future outreach services.
The survey is available here: https://uwmadison.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_eQZRAYdPbRVLq8l.
you in advance for taking the time to provide your valuable feedback. If you have any questions regarding this survey, please email email@example.com.
New and Improved HS-IRBs Consultation and Presentation Request Form
The HS-IRBs Office has been offering consultations, presentations, and training on a variety of topics for several years. To assist study teams with requesting consultations and training, a new and improved [Link for document 18204 is unavailable at this time.] is now available on the HS-IRBs website. The new form is simplified and includes a checklist of IRB topics.
teams should use the new consolidated form to request group presentations,
WIRB training, or a consultation with an IRB staff reviewer. To assist the
HS-IRBs office in reviewing requests for training and consultations, please include
the specific topics or questions you wish to have addressed.
Changes to VA Template Documents
As a result of the VA Office of Research Oversight audit earlier this year, the VA consent form template has been updated. Key differences from the prior consent form template include:
- Addition of an area to insert the study sponsor, as required by VA regulations
- Revision of the compensation for injury language to clarify that compensation is for any kind of injury, not just physical.
- Addition of suggested language for the confidentiality section that specifies who can see the subjects' records, such as VA oversight entities, and notes that VA data must be stored indefinitely.
These updated templates should be used now by study teams preparing new IRB applications. For already approved VA studies, the HS-IRBs Office will be contacting study teams to assist them in updating their consent and authorization forms to comply with these new templates.
ARROW Outage December 1st
To allow for in-depth maintenance activities, ARROW will be unavailable from 8AM to 2PM Sunday, December 1st. This will be in addition to the standard Sunday maintenance window of 12AM to 7AM. We apologize for any inconvenience.
New 2014 Dates for IRB for Beginners Workshops
The HS-IRBs office has scheduled the first IRB for Beginners Workshops for 2014. These 90-minute workshops will be held in the HSLC computer lab and will give participants a first-hand view of the resources available on the HS-IRBs website as well as basic tools and tips for the ARROW electronic application submission system. The workshops will also introduce participants to the IRB’s review process and procedures. This workshop is designed to help people who are new to the HS-IRBs review process. This workshop is scheduled for the following dates:
- Thursday January 30th 9:30 - 11:00 AM (HSLC Room 2121)
- Tuesday February 4th 1:00 - 2:30 PM (HSLC Room 2121)
- Wednesday February 12th 3:00 - 4:30 PM (HSLC Room 2121)
Registration is required. Please email Brooke Mechelke at firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your spot in one of the future sessions. Space is limited.
Next ARROW Open Lab on January 30th
The HS-IRBs office has previously held open lab
sessions for study teams seeking assistance with using ARROW. We are again
offering an open lab for anyone who wants help using ARROW. No formal training
will be offered, but HS-IRBs staff will be available to answer any questions
study teams have about ARROW.
The ARROW open lab will be held on Thursday, January 30th from 11AM to 11:30AM in the HSLC computer lab (HSLC 2121). Registration is required and capped at 20 participants. To register, please email email@example.com.
Questions? We're Here to Help!
Whether you have a question about a specific protocol, a general question about the submission process, or need clarification about research policy, we have several ways you can reach us.
- Urgent issues (e.g., subject safety concerns), please call our main line (608-263-2362) and ask to speak with the staff reviewer on call for the day. Please do NOT use email for these kinds of questions.
- General IRB questions, please call our main line (608-263-2362) to speak with the staff reviewer on call or email firstname.lastname@example.org. These are the quickest ways to get help with general questions.
- Specific questions regarding the status of your review and/or reviewer notes, please contact the staff reviewer assigned to your application.
- Help with single IRB review and reliance questions, email irbreliance.wisc.edu.
- Assistance with ARROW or technical questions, email email@example.com.
- Newsletter and other IRB updates, please sign up for the general HS-IRBs listserv by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- WIRB updates, please sign up for the WIRB listsserv by emailing email@example.com with a request to be put on the list.
- Consultations: For investigators seeking assistance on a specific program or application, HS-IRBs staff are available for individual consultations. To request a consultation, complete the HS-IRBs Presentation and Consultation Request Form.
- Presentations: The HS-IRBs office is available to provide the research community with presentations and trainings on a variety of topics. To request a presentation, complete the HS-IRBs Presentation and Consultation Request Form.