Academic Staff Executive Committee Minutes 12-20-18

Approved 1-10-19

ASEC Minutes
2:00 – 4:30 p.m. Thursday, December 20, 2018
53 Bascom Hall

Members Present: Bruno Browning; Aaron Crandall; Jenny Dahlberg; Beth Giles; Mallory Musolf; Kevin Niemi, chair; Deb Shapiro; Lindsey Stoddard Cameron

Guests: McKinney Austin, Tim Dalby

The meeting was called to order at 2:05 p.m.

The minutes of December 6, 2018, were approved.

General Reports
Kevin Niemi, ASEC chair, reported on the December 14 UW System Reps meeting. The TTC Study was one of the major topics for discussion, specifically communication about the project across campuses. Kevin will be crafting a document with suggestions for improved communication. There was also discussion about the Benefits Survey. At present, the response rate is 38% for UW-Madison and 42% for UW System. Kevin also attended a meeting on the upcoming state budget process with Ben Miller and Crystal Potts. Senators John Nygren and Alberta Darling will remain co-chairs of the Joint Committee on Finance.

Heather Daniels, Secretary of the Academic Staff, reported that the Academic Staff Division of Continuing Studies Course Grants program will be offered again this year. The call for applications will go out in February. She also talked with Workforce Relations about getting academic staff layoff data again. This will happen in late summer. Heather met with the UW-Extension Academic Staff Council to discuss the recent resolution passed by the Assembly regarding Extension employees’ ability to be on ballots or appointed to committees with terms beginning July 1, 2019. Employees have been provided a Qualtrics survey to register their interest; there have been 16 responses so far. She also had a meet-and-greet with Lisa Carter, the new Vice Provost for Libraries.

Liaison Reports
Jenny discussed her review of the draft position descriptions for the Research Administration category. Donna has finished her review of the Outreach category.

Deb mentioned that the Librarians’ Assembly are considering changes to their bylaws, including a name change and the inclusion of university staff. They would like input from Heather and will also send a survey. Deb also attended both governance sessions for the Dean of the School of Business candidates.

Motion to convene in Closed Session Pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c), and (f) to Discuss Nominations for the Nominating Committee slate (Dahlberg). Seconded. Approved.

Motion to Convene in Open Session. (Browning). Seconded. Approved.

Business
•    Program Productivity Monitoring Comments
Lindsey and Beth provided some edits to the document. Heather will submit ASEC’s comments by the deadline of December 21.
•    Shared Governance Traditions Report
Beth discussed the draft of the report, which was written by her, Heather, Anja Wanner, and Jane Richard. The group decided to address several different areas which are impacted by governance. These areas were selected based on those mentioned in the original values statement that was passed by the governance groups. The University Committee will discuss the report in January, and they posed the idea of inviting other executive committees to attend that meeting as well.

Guest: McKinney Austin, Interim Chief Data Officer
McKinney has been in the role of Interim Chief Data Officer for 4 months. He provided a history of the office and an overview of its current initiatives. The Chief Data Officer position was created in 2014. It was originally a standalone position within the office of the Chief Information Officer tasked with getting a data governance program up and running. The role has since been moved out of IT, since it is more about business processes than technology. This office has centralized data governance, data management, and analytics services (i.e. business intelligence and reporting tools). One of the office’s goals is to automate as many processes as can be automated.

There is a conscious intent to centralize functions where it makes sense to do so. The current state of reporting is one of prolonged transition. The Query Library is going away, and the question is how to move these queries into a new tool. Tableau is being used for some of this information. The intent is to create a single point of access, which is where RADAR comes in. RADAR is a simple, powerful tool that serves as a portal for all of the various tools and reports. McKinney’s office is looking at various ways of providing access to these reports.

The changes that have been made so far represent incremental improvements. Both the data warehouse and our reporting tools need to be modernized, and this may intersect with the ERP project that is currently being discussed.

Business
•    Work Life Survey Faculty/Staff Comparison Next Steps
ASEC discussed tying the next steps with the survey discussion to future discussions regarding the proposed target of opportunity program. Lindsey, Mallory, and Jenny volunteered to put together highlights from the data for the Provost’s visit to ASEC on January 24.
•    Staff Target of Opportunity Program
Beth volunteered to be part of a working group to brainstorm ideas on this proposed program. ASEC also asked Heather to put out a call to academic staff at large for more volunteers.
•    Professor Title Resolutions
The resolutions on professorial titles are now scheduled to have a first reading at the Faculty Senate in March and a vote in April. The Research and Instructional Titles Committee met on December 19 to discuss the resolutions further, and thought it would be a good idea to present these proposals along with sample job descriptions.

Meeting adjourned at 4:27 p.m.

Minutes submitted by Jake Smith, Deputy Secretary of the Academic Staff



Keywords:ASEC min   Doc ID:39087
Owner:HEATHER D.Group:Office of the Secretary/ Academic Staff
Created:2014-04-08 15:25 CSTUpdated:2019-08-05 09:15 CST
Sites:Office of the Secretary/ Academic Staff
Feedback:  0   0