Well-known UW-Madison Campus IP address ranges and hosts
This document is to provide a handy reference for IP address ranges commonly used on the UW-Madison Campus.
DoIT Network Services recognizes the need for campus network administrators to allow or block certain IP address ranges to the infrastructure that they manage. An attempt is made to keep this document the authoritative source but its contents are not guaranteed to be error free.
IPv4 ranges assigned to the UW-Madison Campus
- 126.96.36.199/17 - Resnet
Private companies / Federal Government Agencies using UW IP space
- 188.8.131.52/24 - Research Park: gcg.com
- 184.108.40.206/23 - Forest Products Lab
- 220.127.116.11/24 - Research Park: Science Drive LAN for multiple groups/depts
- 18.104.22.168/24 - Research Park: Science Drive LAN for multiple groups/depts
- 22.214.171.124/24 - MG&E Innovation Center-Rosa Rd.
- 126.96.36.199/29 - Research Park: Tomotherapy
- 188.8.131.52/25 - MG&E Innovation Center-Rosa Rd.
- 184.108.40.206/27 - Research Park: Tomotherapy
- 220.127.116.11/24 - MG&E Innovation Center-Rosa Rd.
RFC 1918 IPv4 ranges centrally managed by DoIT
RFC 1918 IPv4 ranges not routed and not centrally managed by DoIT
- 172.16. 0.0/12 IP addresses: 172.16. 0.0 – 172.31. 255.255.
- 192.168. 0.0/16 IP addresses: 192.168. 0.0 – 192.168. 255.255
IPv6 ranges assigned to the UW-Madison Campus
IP ranges previously routed on UW-Madison [previously checked 2014/11/20]
- 18.104.22.168/25 - USGS
- 22.214.171.124/24 - USGS
- 126.96.36.199/24 - University of Wisconsin-Madison Computer Systems Lab
- 188.8.131.52/24 - Dane County University Extension
- 2001:4e0:82::/48 [deprecated, 3/2008]
IP ranges assigned to UW System affiliates
- 184.108.40.206/23 - University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics
Departmental GlobalProtect based WiscVPN Service
external Public IP used for GlobalProtect Departmental VPN will be
allocated from 220.127.116.11/26 (with some grandfathered exceptions)
- The End User IP assigments for Departmental VPN GlobalProtect users will be assigned from 10.130.240.0/20 (with the following exceptions)
- fundus 10.130.198.97-10.130.198.126
Campus GlobalProtect based VPN Service (WiscVPN)
- Client IP Pool Ranges 10.254.0.2 - 10.254.63.254 and 10.130.176.2 - 10.130.191.254
- WiscVPN PAT Pool Expansion Subnet 18.104.22.168 - 22.214.171.124
IPv4The Campus DNS infrastructure is implemented by a pool of redundant dns servers that answer dns requests to these addresses. These DNS servers are for use on the UW-Madison campus only. If you are off-campus, please use your provider's DNS servers.
To request changes or updates to the campus DNS service, please contact the DoIT HelpDesk.
- 126.96.36.199/19 (188.8.131.52 - 184.108.40.206) for static addressed VPN client
- 10.130.176.0/20 (10.130.176.0 - 10.130.191.255) for dynamic assigned IP addressed VPN client
- 10.254.0.0/16 (10.254.0.0 to 10.254.255.255) for emergency expansion of Remote VPN use (like a flu outbreak)
For current information about the new WiscVPN service, see: WiscVPN GlobalProtect VPN
The list of addresses used for network management and security scanning can be found @ Scan - Office of Cybersecurity Vulnerability Scanning IPs and Services
UWNet & Eduroam Wireless and Wired Authenticated Networks
The UWNet & Eduroam wireless clients utilize private IP addresses from the campus routable range mentioned in the RFC1918 section of this document. These clients are routable to campus and use NAT/PAT behind pools of public IP addresses listed below for Internet access.
- 10.138.0.0/15 - Eduroam clients, utilizes NAT/PAT behind 220.127.116.11/23 for Internet access
- 10.140.0.0/15 - UWNET clients, utilizes NAT/PAT behind 18.104.22.168/23 for Internet access
Wired UWNet is being deprecated and should no longer be considered a campus-wide service.
NTP ServersDoIT has several stratum-2 or less servers; we do not have our own stratum-1 time source.
The addresses are as follows:
ntp1.doit.wisc.edu 22.214.171.124 126.96.36.199 2607:f388::123:1 ntp2.doit.wisc.edu 188.8.131.52 2607:f388::123:2 ntp3.doit.wisc.edu 184.108.40.206 2607:f388::123:3