CCI Private Cloud - Managing VM Snapshots
This document details the process for managing snapshots associated with virtual machines in the CCI Private Cloud environment.
A snapshot preserves the state and data of a VM at a specific point in time; however, snapshots are limited and should be used with caution.
Snapshots can provide short-term data protection. A snapshot before a change will provide a rollback point in case you want to reverse the change.
- Reverting to a snapshot is comprehensive, destructive, and irreversible. All changes to the VM and its data that occurred after the snapshot will be lost.
- Running a VM on a snapshot for an extended period of time can adversely affect performance, create instability, and cause data loss; therefore, CCI snapshots are automatically deleted after 7 days.
- Open the CCI Private Cloud Portal - https://cloud.cci.wisc.edu
- The CCI Private Cloud Portal can only be accessed from devices with a Well-known UW-Madison Campus IP address ranges and hosts, WiscVPN - Departmental VPN or WiscVPN (uwmadison.vpn.wisc.edu) - Getting Started must be used to access the CCI Private Cloud Portal from an off-campus connection.
- If prompted to Select your domain:, select ad.wisc.edu from the pull-down and click on Next.
- Log in using your netid as your username. If ad.wisc.edu is not listed as the domain beneath the password prompt, click on Sign in to a different domain and go back to step 2.
- Go to the Resources tab and select Deployments
- Click on a Deployment
- Click on the Cloud_vSphere_Machine in the Topology diagram
- Expand the Actions menu on the far right
- Select one of the snapshot choices:
- Create Snapshot
- Give the snapshot a name and description
- Click SUBMIT
- Delete Snapshot
- Select the snapshot to delete and click NEXT
- Confirm and click SUBMIT
- Revert to Snapshot
- Select the snapshot to revert to and click NEXT
- Confirm and click SUBMIT.
- All changes made to the VM after the snapshot will be discarded.
- Create Snapshot
CCI Private Cloud Incident Reporting
- Customers should contact the DoIT Help Desk to report an incident or check the outages page for an CCI Private Cloud incident.
- Formal support is provided for CCI Private Cloud during business hours only. After-hours support is best effort.
CCI Private Cloud Technical Support
- Customers should contact the DoIT Help Desk or email firstname.lastname@example.org with support requests.
- CCI Private Cloud technologists will respond to all support requests by the end of the following business day.