SolidWorks 2020 for Windows
This article explains how to download and install SolidWorks 2020.
Downloading and Installing SolidWorks 2020 Version
CAE offers Solidworks to the College of Engineering at University of Wisconsin Madison through the Campus Software Library. In order to install and run locally installed remote software, you must have a CAE account as well as a NetID.
If you have any difficulties, please contact the CAE Helpdesk. You can call the helpdesk at (608) 262-5349, stop by the Helpdesk in room 116 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. The CAE Helpdesk does not respond to help requests through comments on this website. For more information on when consultants are available at the helpdesk, please visit https://www.cae.wisc.edu/helpdesk/.
Disclaimer: After initially activating your CAE account, it takes about 24 hours for SolidWorks to show up in the Campus Software Library for download.
*If you previously had SolidWorks downloaded, you must *completely* uninstall it before attempting to download SolidWorks 2020. See https://kb.wisc.edu/cae/106819*
1. Navigate to software.wisc.edu with an internet browser.
2. Click on "LOGIN TO THE CAMPUS SOFTWARE LIBRARY". Use your NetID and password to log in.
3. Under "Software for Engineering Students", click on "SolidWorks" and you should be prompted to this page:
4. Type in your Wisc email address under the "Downloads" section and click on "SolidWorks 2020 for Engineering Students".
Run the .exe file and select a folder to unzip the contents to.
5. Once the files are unzipped, the SolidWorks installer should begin automatically. If it doesn't, you can run the setup file in the folder you used in the previous step.
6. Choose the Installation type. Please select Individual (on this computer).
7. After that step, it should ask you to enter the serial number that is listed on the campus software download page from Step 4.
*There may be two serial numbers listed. Make sure you use the bold one after "For stand alone/Off Campus Installations."*
8. Most users will not need to modify the components to be installed. You must agree to the Terms and Conditions, then select Download and Install.
9. The necessary files will be downloaded from Solidworks first, so this may take a while, depending on your internet speed.
10. Once all files are downloaded, you may get a dialog box that asks if you want to pause the installation or install SolidWorks. Click Install.
11. Once the install finishes, open Solidworks. You should see a prompt to activate Solidworks on your computer. Make sure "I want to activate my SOLIDWORKS product now" is selected, then click next
12. Make sure "Automatically over the internet (recommended)" is selected, then click next
13. A window should pop up for a few seconds about activating the product, then you should see an "Activation/Reactivation Succeeded" window, which displays the products you have and when they expire. Click Finish.
If you have any difficulties, please contact the CAE Helpdesk. You can call the helpdesk at (608) 262-5349, stop by the Helpdesk in 116 CAE or email at email@example.com. The CAE Helpdesk does not respond to help requests through comments on this website. For more information on when consultants are available at the helpdesk, please visit https://www.cae.wisc.edu/helpdesk/.