Faculty Senate Minutes 2009-12-07
shared governance document
December 7, 2009
The meeting was called to order by Chancellor Biddy Martin at 3:34 p.m. with 153 voting members present.
1. Memorial resolutions were presented for:
Professor Emeritus Maximilian L. Baeumer. faculty document 2161Professor Emeritus Stanley D. Carlson. faculty document 2162Professor Emeritus Reinhold Grimm. faculty document 2163Professor Emeritus Ross B. Inman. faculty document 2164Professor Emeritus Ian C. Loram. faculty document 2165Professor Emeritus Wilmott Ragsdale. faculty document 2166
Professor Judith Burstyn updated the senate on the work of the Ad Hoc Committee to Determine the Needs and Structure of UW-Madison’s Research Enterprise and on the work of the Ad Hoc Committee to Review the Athletic Board. Professor Burstyn also announced that the University Committee has assumed the role of the Budget Planning and Analysis Joint Subcommittee for 2009-2010.Mr. John Mather spoke about services available from the Ombuds Office.Chancellor Martin announced that decisions from the second round of proposals for the MadisonInitiative for Undergraduates would be announced in January.Chancellor Martin announced that UW-Madison is hosting the December meeting of the UW SystemBoard of Regents.Chancellor Martin reiterated the university’s commitment to the Madison Initiative for Undergraduates and the need to match $10 million for the initiative via the “Great People. Great Place.” need-based fundraising campaign.Chancellor Martin announced that the search for a new president of the UW Foundation is in process.
3. Question Period.
Chancellor Martin responded to a question from Professor Eric Schatzberg (District 82) regarding furlough policy and how it affects faculty.
AUTOMATIC CONSENT BUSINESS
4. The minutes of 2 November 2009 were approved as distributed.
5. Associate Professor Peter Vranas submitted for informational purposes the Archives Committee Annual Report for 2008-2009. faculty document 2167
There were no questions.
6. Professor Joseph Salmons submitted for informational purposes the PROFS, Inc. Annual Report for 2008-2009. faculty document 2168
There were three questions.
7. Professor Thomas Givnish submitted for informational purposes the Recreational Sports Board Annual Report for 2008-2009. faculty document 2169
There were no questions.
8. Professor Burstyn moved to adopt the Policy on the Awarding of Posthumous Degrees. faculty document 2146a
The motion passed without negative vote.
The meeting adjourned at 4:18 p.m.
Secretary of the Faculty