UW-Madison - IT - Disposal and Reuse Policy
Applies to UW-Madison employees, contractors and associates who are disposing of or reusing media or devices that contain UW-Madison restricted or sensitive Data.
The policy requires that media or devices that contain UW-Madison restricted or sensitive data are adequately erased, obscured, destroyed or otherwise rendered unusable before disposal, or adequately erased before reuse for another purpose.
The Disposal and Reuse Procedures are the implementation of the policy.
Media and Device Disposal and Reuse Policy
UW-Madison employees, contractors, and associates must assure that media or devices in their possession that contain restricted or sensitive data are adequately erased, obscured, destroyed or otherwise rendered unusable before disposal, or adequately erased before reuse for another purpose. This includes electronic media and devices of all types, as well as paper and other non-electronic media.
Unauthorized access to restricted or sensitive data can have significant detrimental effects on individuals or the institution. There are laws, regulations and contracts that require the university to protect certain types of information from unauthorized access.
When media or devices are disposed of or reused for a different purpose, unobscured restricted or sensitive data that is present is vulnerable to access by unauthorized persons.
Issued by the UW-Madison Vice Provost for Information Technology.
- UW-Madison employees who do not comply may be subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment.
- Contractors or associates who do not comply may be subject to penalty under the governing agreement. Compliance may be a consideration affecting new or renewed agreements.
Please address questions or comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- IT Policy Glossary: https://kb.wisc.edu/itpolicy/glossary
- Data Classification Policy: https://kb.wisc.edu/itpolicy/cio-data-classification-policy
- Disposal and Reuse Procedures: https://kb.wisc.edu/itpolicy/cio-disposal-and-reuse-procedures