University Committee Meeting Minutes 2015-02-02
University Committee Meeting Minutes
approved February 9, 2015
February 2, 2015
Present: Broman, Edwards, Fair (chair), Meyerand, Petty, Wendt
1. Meeting called to order: 1:00 PM.
2. Discussion of senate resolution draft and senate agenda.
3. Discussion of representation at March Regent meeting.
4. Update from Petty on Cross conference call with PROFS and similar groups from morning.
5. Minutes of the meeting of January 26, 2015, approved.
6. ASM update (Gen Carter, Chair, and Derek Field, Vice Chair): Wide-ranging discussion on issues related to the imminent budget proposal.
7. Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration update (Darrell Bazzell)
a. Bazzell helped clarify numbers for the draft senate resolution.
b. Discussion on impacts of budget cuts, including best ways to get information to ASM.
8. Provost update (Sarah Mangelsdorf)
a. Mangelsdorf and the UC discussed the budget and preparations for February 9 shared governance meeting.
b. Follow up on discussion with ASM and other related budget issues.
c. Mangelsdorf has a request from the UW Foundation to clarify the difference between professorship and chair. Discussion tabled for next meeting.
9. Chancellor update (Rebecca Blank)
a. Blank updated the UC on impending budget announcement and pointed out that this is only the beginning of a months-long process. She also discussed the aspects of the budget and public authority that she will discuss at the senate meeting. Ample discussion about messaging both internally and externally. There will be public sessions as well as a website for both input and dissemination of information.
b. In response to a question from the UC about external constituencies, Blank explained that after the budget is announced, letters will go out to alumni and parents and individual communications with private sector leaders will be increased.
c. Blank updated the UC on the February Regents meeting, which will be hosted by the Madison campus this month. This will include an address from the chancellor at the opening public session.
d. The chancellor updated the UC on the status of the labor licensing advisory committee.
10. Meeting adjourned at 2:58 PM.