University Committee Meeting Minutes 2014-11-03
approved November 10, 2014
November 3, 2014
Present: Broman, Edwards, Fair (chair), Meyerand, Petty
1. Meeting called to order: 12:31 PM.
2. Minutes of the meeting of October 27, 2014, approved.
3. Athletic Board update (Mark Covaleski): Handout: Wisconsin Athletics.
a. Covaleski briefed the UC on ongoing efforts to work on priority areas identified by Big Ten presidents: (1) more support reaching student-athletes, (2) scholarships committed for four years, (3) commitment to students returning to complete degrees, and (4) insurance. Other areas of concentration include food and concussions. The UW continues to affirm its commitment to the amateur athlete model (in contrast to “pay for play”). Substantial concern over possibility of some universities setting their own priorities and putting strains on conferences.
b. Covaleski assured the UC that there are processes and communications structures in place at UW to avoid the kinds of academic compliance issues that have affected other universities.
c. Discussion of subcommittee structure and overall size and function of Board.
d. UW submitted 2 student nominees for Big10 representatives to Big 5 conferences.
e. UC raised possibility of creating stronger connections between academic advisors in athletics with other advisors.
4. Ad hoc committee on classified research (Greg Moses, Larry Westby, Bart Miller, Dan Ulrich)
a. Ad hoc committee members reviewed their charge and discussed their draft report and recommendations. Focus of committee’s work was how to enable UW policies/personnel to facilitate/participate in this kind of research.
b. UC suggested minor changes to the draft report, which will be resubmitted for presentation to Faculty Senate in December (Working Group on Clasified Research final report, Fac doc 2524)
5. Petty moved and Edwards 2nd to convene in closed session pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c) and (f) to discuss personnel matters. Motion passed: 2:02 PM.
6. Finalization of nominations for VCRGE search and screen.
7. Discussion of potential candidates for PROFS president.
8. 2:11PM: Broman left.
9. Edwards moved and Petty 2nd to reconvene in open session. Motion passed: 2:24 PM.
10. Review of faculty senate agenda.
11. Chancellor update (Rebecca Blank)
a. HR design team working through process. Some changes will require legislative action. Major issues: (1) reconfiguration of titles and jobs (will be based on evidence and benchmarking) and (2) contracting for new system.
b. A major gift announcement will be made at the Van Hise dinner a week from Friday.
12. Meeting adjourned: 2:49 PM.
Steven K. Smith, Secretary of the Faculty