Guide to Installing SAS
This document provides instructions for installing the Windows version of SAS 9.4 on 7 and 8. This installation may take 3+ hours to complete.
Installing SAS 9.4 for Windows 7-10
- This document is written based on installing SAS 9.4 on Windows 7 64-bit version. Windows 8 and Windows 10 machines will have a similar installation process.
- In this installation, only the SAS Foundation was chosen to be installed. Your installation will vary if you choose to install the additional products, depending on the products that you have chosen. Please follow any additional prompts during the install.
- Please be aware that the installation of this program will take at least 3 hours to complete after you have downloaded and extracted the 7 disc files.
- You should have picked up 7 DVD discs or downloaded the 7 different disc files from the Campus Software Library.
- License File â Please note that if the SAS Installation Data File on the media is expired please go to https://software.wisc.edu/cgi-bin/ssl/csl.cgi and download an updated SAS Installation Data File.
- Microsoft Windows 7 SP1 â Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate Editions OR Microsoft Windows 8 and 8.1 â Professional and Enterprise, OR Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Pro, Enterprise, or Education editions.
- Windows Administrator installation privileges.
- At least 13 GB free space for the install (based on SAS Foundation being installed; may require more space depending on the products chosen to install)
- A 64 bit Operating System is required for SAS 9.4. If you have a 32 bit Operating System, please install SAS 9.3 from the Campus Software Library and follow the instructions below, as they should be the same for both 32 bit and 64 bit operating systems.
- Start Windows (Boot up the computer)
- Close ALL other Windows applications including virus-scanning programs.
- Insert the SAS 9.4 DVD (disc 1) into your DVD drive if you have a physical disk. If you downloaded the 7 disc files from the Campus Software Library, confirm that all 7 of the disc files have finished downloading.
- Once the downloads have finished, you should have 7 different zip files on your computer. Make sure these 7 zip files are all in the same folder (i.e. Downloads folder, Desktop, etc).
- Once you have all of the zip files grouped together in one location, they should look like this:
- Highlight all 7 of the zip files, right click on the first one, and choose extract all.
- After choosing extract all, a window will then prompt you to choose an extraction location. Make sure that location is the same as where the original zip files are, and click extract.
- Once the extraction process is complete (it may take a while), you should see 7 copies of the original 7 zip files, except this time they are no longer zip files but rather just folders.
- Open up the first folder of the 7 (the one that ends in "_ds01").
- Run the âsetup.exeâ file inside this folder. Once you run this you should be prompted by User Account Control (UAC). Click Yes.
You may see one of the following screens depending on if you are using the DVD set or USB key.
- If a previous version of SAS is installed on your computer, for SAS Home enter the following path:
- If you do NOT have a previous version on SAS installed, select Next:
- Be sure to check off at least the following products:
- SAS Foundation
- Other product selections are optional.
- You may be prompted to Select SAS Enterprise Guide Mode if you are are running a 64-bit version of Windows.
Choose a mode and click Next to continue.
- On the âSelect SAS Foundation Products,â leave the defaults selected or choose which products to install.
Click Next to continue.
Please note that if the SAS Installation Data File on the media is expired, go to https://software.wisc.edu/cgi-bin/ssl/csl.cgi and download an updated SAS Installation Data File.
Click Next to continue.
- If you are installing from discs, it will prompt and require you to put in the installation media. It may require that you put in the same disc a few times during the installation.
- The Systems Requirements Wizard may install additional components that may require system restart(s).
- Depending on the products you have selected to install, several additional screens may appear.
- This installation process will take longer than most installations. Your install time will depend on the SAS products you selected to install and the speed of your hardware.
- Once the installation has completed, then click Next.