University Committee Meeting Minutes 2014-07-14
approved July 21, 2014
July 14, 2014
Present: Fair, Broman, Farrar-Edwards, Meyerand, Petty, Wendt
1. Meeting called to order: 1:00 PM
a. Minutes of the meeting of University Committee Meeting Minutes 2014-07-07 were approved
b. Heather McFadden (ASEC) update on anti-bullying meetings and process.
c. Heather McFadden (ASEC) Women in Leadership symposium update.
d. Review of today's agenda
e. Follow-up discussion on Ray Cross visit
2. Farrar-Edwards moved and Petty second to convene in closed session pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c), and (f) to discuss personnel matters: committee appointments and grievance. Motion passes: 1:29 PM
3. Petty moved and Meyerand 2nd to reconvene in open session. Motion passes: 2:20 PM.
4. Provost Update: Paul DeLuca
a. Discussion of Ray Cross visit.
b. Update on transition.
5. Chancellor Update: Rebecca Blank
a. Monthly meetings with Sims, provost, others to discuss diversity report. Sims has looked at (30+) recommendations and distilled to 12 areas that will be priority for the year.
b. Notification (reminder) about simulation at Camp Randall on Thursday.
c. (Handout: UW-Madison response to McCaskill survey) Blank firmly believes this is one of most important issues for for university.
d. Meyerand asked what UC role is with regard to medical research committee. Blank: This should wait for new provost, but should be a committee the UC charges.
e. Fair asked about procedure for labor and licensing nominee. Blank says follow procedure for other committees.
f. Discussion of Cross visit.
g. On topic of graduation rates, should CURAFA or other UC committees get involved? Blank: CURAFA, UC, and advisors (through Wren Singer) should communicate and see what each other are doing and where needs are.
h. Petty asked about bottom-up communication and feedback (follow-up to earlier discussion). Blank: Looking at whole evaluation structure/system.
6. Meyerand left (3:00)
7. Broman moved and Wendt 2nd to convene in closed session pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c), and (f) to discuss personnel matters: committee appointments and grievance. Motion passes: 3:02 PM
8. Petty moved and Farrar-Edwards 2nd to reconvene in open session. Motion passes: 4:17 PM
9. Meeting adjourned: 4:18 PM
Steven K. Smith
Secretary of the Faculty