University Committee Meeting Minutes 2013-12-09
University Committee Meeting Minutesapproved December 16, 2013
December 9, 2013
Present: Bernard-Donals, Cook, Fair, Farrar Edwards, Meyerand, Petty
1. The meeting began at 1:00 p.m.
2. Minutes of the meeting of December 2, 2013 were approved as distributed.
3. The University Committee will meet with ASEC regarding academic staff dual roles
4. Motion made (Cook) to convene in closed session pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c), and (f) to discuss personnel matters. Unanimous.
5. Reconvene in open session at 2:03 p.m.
6. The UC received an update on the Department of Mechanical Engineering from Dean Ian Robertson.
7. The UC supports the proposed changes to 6.56.B, the Committee on Women in the University's function. The UC supports a proposed change in membership (6.56.A), making the committee a shared governance committee, rather than a faculty-majority committee. However, the UC does not support the proposed changes to increase the number of members to 22 (from 17), as it anticipates problems with scheduling and logistics. The University Committee supports a membership of four faculty members (6.56.A.1), four academic staff members (6.56.A.2), four classified staff members (6.56.A.3), one graduate student (6.56.A.4), one postdoctoral fellow (6.56.A.5), and the VP for Equity and Diversity and the director of the OED as ex officio non-voting members (6.56.A.6), which makes a committee of about the same size (16, down slightly from 17, members), but preserves the equal representation by faculty, academic staff, and classified staff.
8. The chancellor and the University Committee agreed that the Ad Hoc Tuition Policy Report will be presented during the announcements section of the February Faculty Senate meeting.
9. The committee will request nominations for the Vice Chancellor for Research Search and Screen Committee from deans and department chairs.
10. Motion made (Cook) and seconded to convene in closed session pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c), and (f) to discuss personnel matters. Unanimous.
11. Reconvene in open session at 2:55 p.m.
12. The meeting adjourned at 3:40 p.m.