Effort Certification and Reporting Technology (ECRT) - Service Description
This document gives an overview of ECRT.
The Effort Certification and Reporting Technology (ECRT) system, created by Research & Sponsored Programs, is a web-based electronic tool used by faculty and staff to certify their effort (work) on federal and non-federal sponsored projects. ECRT replaces the old paper Personal Activity Reporting (PAR) System.
Non-classified faculty and staff will certify effort twice a year, for six months at a time - (a) January through June and (b) July through December. Classified staff will certify effort on a quarterly basis. ECRT users include:
- Faculty and academic staff at Madison, Milwaukee, and Extension who work on sponsored projects (approximately 10,000 employees at all three business units combined)
- Department-level Effort coordinators (approximately 500 employees at all three business units combined)
- Research administrators at the level of the Dean's Office
- Central campus research administrators listed below:
- Madison – Research and Sponsored Programs
- Milwaukee – Research Services and Administration
- Extension – Office of Extramural Support
Please see the Research & Sponsored Programs website for more information.
Help Desk support for ECRT is limited to login assistance and issues with system availability. If you have questions regarding using the ECRT program itself, please select the "Help" link under your institution in the ECRT web page. The links can be found here: Effort Certification and Reporting Technology (ECRT) - Getting Help.
Note: User name/password issues are handled by each campus individually. If you have questions regarding your user name and password, please see UW System - Login credentials for each campus. If you need a password reset, you must contact your local campus Help Desk. See UW System IT Help Desks Contact Information.
ECRT is available Monday-Friday 8AM-6PM CST.