Office 365 - Automatic Emptying of Deleted Items Folder
This document serves to provide users instructions on how they can turn on or off automatic emptying of the deleted items folder. When this feature is on, once the user logs out of the Outlook on the web or quites the Outlook desktop client, the trash/deleted items folder will be emptied. If this has been done by mistake, it may be possible to recover these deleted items using the instructions provided in this document: Office 365 - Recover deleted items.
Select your client below for instructions:
Outlook on the web
- Log into Outlook on the web.
- Choose Settings (gear icon) at the top right.
- Select View all Outlook settings from bottom of the menu.
- On the "Options" screen, select Mail then Message handling
- Within Message handling page, check (or un-check) the Empty the Deleted Items folder when I sign out check box. It will be the first option as seen above.
- Click Save on the top right corner.
Outlook for Windows
- Run Outlook.
- Go to File | Options.
- Select Advanced from left hand menu options.
- Within 'Outlook start and exit' section, place a checkmark in Empty Deleted Items folders when exiting Outlook check box.
- Click OK.
Note: From now on, whenever you quit out of Outlook, you will be prompted to empty the deleted items folder data.
Outlook for Mac
Important: Outlook for Mac does not have an option to automatically empty the Trash/Deleted mail folder when exiting Outlook. You need to perform this action manually.
- Run Outlook.
- Hold down CONTROL key, and then in the folder list, click the Trash or the Deleted Items folder.
- Click Empty Folder.