WiscWeb - WordPress UW Theme - Using Media Library
The Media Library is your file repository, where you can store documents and images that you intend to use and make available through your site.
- To add items to your Media Library, click on the Media option in the left menu.
- Your full media library will appear. If you have images in the library, they will appear here.
- Click the Add New button.
- You can search for the items to upload by clicking on the Select Files button, otherwise you can drag items onto the screen to upload items automatically.
- Your images will appear on the screen. You can change your view between List or Grid with the toggles in the upper left corner of the library.
You can also filter the items that you see by clicking in the two pull down menus - the first to view by type, the second to view by upload date. You can also individually select items by clicking the Bulk Select button.
Working In Grid View
Within this view, you have a visual representation of the items in your library through thumbnails; documents that are within your library will display with their file name in the thumbnail.
Individually clicking on an item will select it, and open that image or document's informational window.
Here are some of the key items to note within the Attachment Details screen for an image:
- File name: Provides you with the file name of the item you selected.
- Dimensions: The width and height of the image.
- Title: The name of the item that you uploaded. This value will be shown in some instances when it is placed on a page or within a post.
- Caption: This provides your information about the image. A caption will be displayed when an imaged is placed on a page or post, but can be edited or removed when it is placed.
- Alt Text: The alt text for an image is a value that is placed within the code and does provide another location to describe what it is. However, an important use of alt text is for making items on your page accessible. For more information regarding UW-Madison's Web Accessibility policy, please click here.
- Description: Further information about this particular item.
Working In List View
Within this view, your media library items are listed within a table with other pieces of information.
Here are some of the key items to note within the List View. Note that you can sort the columns of this table by clicking on the linked headers:
File (thumbnail list): Provides a preview of the image in a thumbnail image. Next to this is the file name linked which would take you to the edit screen.
Uploaded to: This will tell you what Post or Page the item that this item is contained on.