SOP - CALS Help Desk - Asset Management
Procedures for managing assets in the CALS Help Desk system
Asset Handling Procedures
For all CALS IT desktop support clients, assets will be maintained within the CALS help desk system. Those clients that do not consume CALS IT services will not have asset information associated with their accounts.
Procedures involving new purchases, asset management and asset reassignment are outlined below:
- CALS IT Manager will enter the purchasing information and associate that with the asset. These fields include:
- PO Number = The actual order #
- Order Date
- Invoice Date
- Originator Last Name = ACS Technician who made the order.
- Deliver To Last Name = Order recipient. Typically the originator.
- Vendor = populated from a list. [If changes needed, modify Vendor under Setup>Assets>Vendor}
- Billing Number = Usually Procard; DoIT # or MDS #
- Invoice #
- Notes = particular information regarding the order such as which client/department will be the recipient of the ordered items.
- Line Items: For each item on the order, create a line item. Each line item contains:
- Asset number (NOTE: there is no search capability so will need the actual asset #) See step #2 below
- Asset Type [If changes needed, modify Setup>Assets>Type]
- Model [If changes needed, modify Setup>Assets>Manufacturers & Models]
- Part # = item #
- Cost = price of the item/part
- Enter Shipping costs as appropriate. [NOTE: Any UW purchases should not incur tax since UWS is tax-exempt so this field should always be $0]
- The system will keep an order total
- Once the purchase order has been created, the CALS IT Manager or Lead Technician will create the Asset records for each line item that should be inventoried. (Some purchased items such as basic input devices are not in inventoried). The asset status will be set to "On Order" to indicate the asset has not yet been received.
- The CALS IT Manager or Lead Technician will then edit the PO as needed to add the Asset Number to each line item in the PO.
- Once the equipment has been received, the CALS IT Manager/Lead Technician or Level 1 Tech will modify the asset for the following as applicable:
- Asset Type
- Status = set to "In Progress"
- Serial Number
- IP Address (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)
- Computer/Host Name
- MAC Address (xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx)
- Data Jack IDF
- Data Jack Port
- Generic Username
- Generic Password
- Throughout the lifecycle of the asset, the asset record in the CALS HelpDesk system may need updating. If any of the captured asset field values change during the course of the asset's life, it will be the responsibility of the technician to update the asset record accordingly. Fields of particular interest for keeping current include: room, location, department, client, status (see defined status fields).
- It is not expected that we will use the CALS help desk system for recording software inventory on assets. The Tivoli Endpoint Management System (TEM) will be our single source for this information since TEM is designed to discover this information on its endpoints.
- Notes regarding the asset can be captured in the "Notes" field on the Asset Details tab of the asset record. By default these notes are not visible to the client but this can be overridden on a case by case basis.
- There are assets in the CALS help desk system that will not be assigned to an individual but rather to a generic department client. These include assets such as shared laptops, projectors, network printers, etc. These should be assigned to the generic CALS help desk account associated with the owner department. You can find these generic clients by searching by the first name = "CALS" in the client listing. There are currently 11 generic department accounts created in the CALS help desk system.
For assets that get reassigned from one client to another, the technician should perform the following steps in the CALS HelpDesk system:
- Reassign the client and remove the former client from the asset.
- Update the asset for the new room, location, department and data jack as applicable.
- Update other asset fields as applicable to the reassignment.
Asset Status Types
CALS IT has defined the Status field as follows:
- Active = Asset deployed and in use
- Disposed = Asset sent to SWAP or otherwise disposed
- In Progress = Currently being configured/installed but not yet deployed
- In Storage = In local storage; used for shared/swapable devices
- Inactive = Asset not actively being used. Most likely will become a target for Disposal
- On Order = Asset has been ordered but not received